Car accident

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Car accident

Post by Spreckly »

I am all right foljks, a little shaken, and wishing I had either got in the car earlier or later. Coming home from dropping a sample off at the surgery, I hit a cyclist on a roundabout. I passed my test in 1971, and this is the first accident.

The cyclist is OK, not his bike, it is in two parts.

Witnesses called the police and the ambulance, which took ages to arrive. I moved my car, and got the bike off the road. The man crawled onto the grass verge.

I never saw him when I pulled off the roundabout. He said to me "you should give way to traffic on the right" A fact of which I am very aware. And I did look right, I am not that stupid.

I phoned friends who live near the roundabout and they came straight away, while I stood feeling I was going to throw up, or pass out.

So the ambulance came, the man was examined, tested, and was allowed to go home. He has a few cuts, and will doubtless have bruises.

One of his friends came, and told me that the damaged bike was an electric one, and cost 2K. That was not good news. My friends looked at the damaged bike, and said it was not an electric one, apparently that was home in his garage - huge relief for me.

I couldn't even remember who my car insurance was with, though it did come back to me while I was being interviewed in the police car.

The police were very very kind, and told me not to worry. I will either be in court, which the copper said was unlikely, or have to do the drivers awareness course. The latter is in the city where the hospital Ted was in for so many weeks is. I never ever want to see that place again, or drive into Hull for that matter.

But I will do as I am told.

My friends took me back to their home, we distanced, and they made me a cup of tea and gave me a ginger biscuit. After a good hour, I came home, they wanted to drive with me, but I was OK. I stopped at the egg farm, and got some eggs, and delivered the bee bait box with was unused back to the friend who had loaned it.

So I have phoned the insurance company, who are dealing with the matter, taken Angel down the garden, had three slices of toast with cheese, phoned my middle son, who works from home, and am going to try and relax.

My friend who had the same make of car as me told me that the blind spot on the front windscreen no doubt prevented my seeing the cyclist. She also thought that the cyclist was probably doing quite a speed. I was not doing much, having just pulled off the give way.

So, what a day. Most of all, I am thankful that the cyclist was not badly hurt; I thought when I saw him on my car bonnet that I had killed him.

The last year has been a nightmare to be honest, and now I have another one on top. But I am all right.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Car accident

Post by Mo »

{hug}
When did you last have an eye test.
We are so dependant on our cars but I get nervous about city driving now.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

{hug} {hug} what ever the cause, a dreadful thing to happen. I hope the side effects on you are not too bad, especially the stress of it all on top of everything else. xx
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Last eye test at the beginning of last year after my cataract surgery, Mo. No public transport where I live, so I am very dependent on my car.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

{hug} just what you don't need. My car (Nissan Note) has a blind spot and it has caught me out more than once - I think it's because the new models of cars have big front windows that not only slope down a long way to the dashboard but bow out to the sides making the car body/door frame either side further back into the car so they actually block the view of the road to the left and right. Even after pausing before moving off, a cyclist travelling towards me has been obscured for several seconds that it is so easy to think the road is clear. It's such a shock to suddenly see the cyclist appear from nowhere and suddenly in front of me but luckily I've been able to react before actually pulling out. I also think cyclists (and pedestrians for that matter) seem to think that if they can see you, you can see them and don't stop to think or make themselves more visible.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Blooming heck, Spreckly. So glad neither you or the cyclist are badly hurt.
It must have been one heck of a shock to see someone on the bonnet of your car.
Be kind to yourself, take a lovely bath and then an early night, things will seem much better after a good sleep.
{hug} {hug} {hug} {hug}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My youngest son is a keen cyclist, travelling long distances at weekends. He told me today that most cyclists take roundabouts at speed, which would account for the fact that the man was not in my view when I pulled out.

I am OK, thank you, rather tired, but thankful that I didn't do a serious injury.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Hard to do but try not to keep going over it in your head. It was an accident which happened so quickly that it will be hard to say what exactly happened. The important thing is that you are both alright thank God. It may have been him, it may have been you or a bit of both. You may never know so try and relax a bit or it will tell on you physically. Take care. {hug} {hug} {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

How are you feeling today, Spreckly?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Are you ok,Spreckly?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Struggling a bit Gwen. Heard back from the insurance company, who gave me the third degree, which brought it all to the front of my mind. Not heard from the police yet. Thanks for asking.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{hug} {hug} {hug&kiss} {hug&kiss}
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Update - the policeman who dealt with me phoned yesterday, to say that no further action is to be taken.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That's a relief.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That is good news, Spreckly. )like(