Sanitising things during lockdown

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Sanitising things during lockdown

Post by Spreckly »

I was talking to a friend last night, and we discussed what we are using to sanitise items. Our vet's wife, who brings my groceries told me that she uses dilute bleach on things, another friend who is a retired physio told me that she uses soap and water.

I have mainly been using the bleach and water method, but my friend told me that her son and grandaughter have informed her that bleach is not effective on the virus, and that hot soapy water is the correct thing to do.

What are you using?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Sanitising things during lockdown

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am using sanitisers, especially when I go out and on the door bell and handles of the doors at home with good old soap and water on me at home.
I sat in the car the other week whilst Terry went into B&Q and watched the young girl 'sanitise' the trolleys...……...well from the way she was doing it, she obviously thinks that you do not hold the underside of the trolley handle or never grab the other end of the trolley to pull it round either!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I don't sanitise anything except my hands. I do my own shopping, no one delivers anything to me except the odd letter from the postie. I do the normal house cleaning, soap and water, spray polish on some surfaces, bleach for the toilet. I take an anti-bac spray out with me in case I inadvertently touch anything. I push the trolley around from the other end, not touching the handles.
Ilona
PS. They call it lockdown, but I am not locked down. I am not classed as vulnerable.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

The virus has a lipid/fatty part which means that it is destroyed by soap, so the soapy water is definitely effective.
I'm not sure about bleach but cant see why that would work as it's an anti-microbial treatment rather than anti-virus, I believe. Others may know better.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I'm told I'm wrong on this and that bleach equally effective and alcohol at 60% or more.