My, how things have changed

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

My, how things have changed

Post by Gwenoakes »

Have been looking on line and came across advice for children who have Croup.
Andrew my son had croup from a very early age and it lasted for about 7 years. I was told to put him in the bathroom with plenty of steam, use a Coaltar vapouriser that literally stunk the whole house out and not to let him go out into any cool air. It always ended up with him on antibiotics too.
Now I have read you do not put in a steamy room, open windows and get fresh air in, sit upright and if necessary they have steroid inhalers.
Two totally different ways of dealing with this nasty ailment and tbh it has left me wondering what is the right way to deal with it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: My, how things have changed

Post by Spreckly »

It certainly is a change Gwen. I used a vapouriser for my oldest son when he was ill with too frequent bronchitis.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It makes sense to use steroids as too often the severe symptoms which can be fatal in some cases, are caused by the body over-reacting to an infection (similar to how some of the severe cases of Covid are being described) Bear in mind that these medicines are relatively new compared to the coal tar treatment which was once considered standard because there was nothing else available at the time. Don't forget that when it was first used, there was no antibiotic treatment (or NHS) in those days either. Even the use of steroids and the different types available have been fine tuned since they were discovered

Using steam was a method is "loosen" up the chest to make it easier to cough up phlegm in bacterial infections, and the coal tar is basically a strong disinfectant to kill off bacteria/virus - except it also damaged the delicate lining of the throat and lungs which allowed secondary infections to enter, hence the need for antibiotics. Also, cresol (one of the components of the coal tar treatment which gives the characteristic smell) is classified as harmful and causes burns and damage to other organs. It's not surprising that it is no longer standard treatment as it could do more harm than good.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've never come across croup except from reading Anne of Green Gables. Just been looking for the remedy she used and found this on Wiki
Ipecacuanha has a long history of use as an emetic, for emptying the stomach in cases of poisoning, a use that has been discontinued in medical settings (see syrup of ipecac). It has also been used as a nauseant, expectorant, and diaphoretic, and was prescribed for conditions such as bronchitis.
Interesting article
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That is interesting LL and Mo.
My son was never hospitalized, but there were many an occasion when it was on the cards if things didn't get better within so many hour/hours.
Just wondering now what harm I have done us all tbh.
I did courses with the Red X and was told to always sit a suspected heart attack patient up, now I have seen on TV where they lay them down.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Like laying a baby on their back / front /side. I know the advice for that has changed. Not sure what the most recent is
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

14 almost 15 years ago when Chloe was born the midwife came and told Sarah off for using baby powder.
I just loved picking up a newly bathed baby and smelling that wonderful what I classed as 'baby' smell.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote: 25 Oct 2020, 20:25 14 almost 15 years ago when Chloe was born the midwife came and told Sarah off for using baby powder.
It's possible the reason was because talcum powder is linked to contamination with asbestos and the risk of cancer Talcum powder is a finely ground natural mineral which can in some areas where it is mined, also contain asbestos (they are usually found together) The US have banned the use of talcum powder but I noticed the NHS have debunked it as causing ovarian cancer. However, inhalation of any dust particles (not just talcum powder) can remain lodged in lung tissue and cause long term health problems.

EDIT: I sound a bit like a know-it-all but recently as part of my home working, I've been tasked to review all the assessments of chemicals that are stored in my place of work ... I don't personally handle the vast majority of the chemicals so have been a little ignorant until I started going through all the assessments. I've learned that even some chemicals classed as "non-hazardous" (referring to their chemical properties and reactivity) can still be hazardous (such as respiratory inhalation of small dust particles or combined air/dust mix as a fire hazard) ^b:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That makes sense LL.
When you think about talcum powder, and the way some people might spread it around in clouds, it could be bad for sensitive lungs. Maybe not everyone, but with babies, better safe than sorry.
Know what you mean about the smell, Gwen. Johnson's baby powder.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not a no it all, LL, just that you have gained information that I am grateful of and I am sure others on here are too.
The Midwife did say that it was because they had associated talcum powder with asthma in babies and children. Ironically though Chloe had asthma and my three did not. I was always careful to just put a small amount of powder on my three, not loads though.