No alternative

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

No alternative

Post by Gwenoakes »

but to go on the list for a complete new knee job. My right knee bone on the outside is going outwards which is down to osteoarthritis.
I have been to the hospital this pm and the consultant told me that if I did not have the op my knee at best would last 6 - 12 months!! He said there was absolutely nothing I could do to make it better myself other having my leg up when I am sitting down. Apparently time in hospital would be 24 - 48 hours and recovery time 3 months. I must admit I gulped at the 3 months part.
Must say I was quite shocked. The pain has got pretty bad and I have been very much restricted on what I can and cannot do which does not bode well with me at all. Considering this actually started to rear it's head almost 20 years ago, I suppose I have not done too bad, especially when I think of how much dancing and line dancing I have done over that period of time.
I have no idea when I will go in as when I asked he said he could not say, so a wait and see situation.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: No alternative

Post by albertajune »

Not a pleasant op Gwen but it will make such a difference to your life when healing is complete. My husband had both his knees done and eventually walked such a lot with our dogs with no pain. As you say , no alternative so hopefully the wait won't be too long x
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hope the waiting list isn't to long.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks ladies. Was good to hear about your husband, June, thanks for that.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Sorry to read this Gwen, and echo Mo's comment that you will not have a long wait. {hug}
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Spreckly.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Just go for it. I have had 1 hip and both knees replaced. I am surprised at 3 months. It's all down to doing the physio. I was off crutches by 4 weeks. Ask questions if you want.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

That is encouraging to read, Grannyof4 and you may be sorry you have said I could ask you questions. )t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I know it’s a worry, but as others have said, although it takes a while to recover, I believe it’s so worth it.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Had a telephone call from the hospital yesterday and I am going in for the op on 4th January, should have 3 nights in there if all goes well.
Got to go for a pre op assessment on 30th and Covid test on 31st. I will be seen by the physiotherapist on the 30th too.
All the above is open to alteration if there is another lockdown though.
I was totally surprised at the speed as I only went for the consultation on, think it was 10th Nov and will be in well within 2 months of that.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hope they don't have to change the date. Glad they are getting on with it, your consultant must have said you were a priority.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Yes, hope it goes ahead OK and is very successful for you.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thank s everyone.
To be honest it could not have come at a worse time regarding work as it is our end of year at the end of Jan and insurances to be sorted. Have been busy today with insurances, rang the accountant and also the Crown who we do a lot of work for to tell them the situation, so hopefully no big surprises/problems. I am afraid Jo Bloggs will just have to wait.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am almost ready to go in tomorrow for my knee op, have delayed packing my bag up till now.
My admission time has been altered from 12.35p.m. to 7.25a.m. apparently they had a cancellation. To be honest I prefer a morning theatre visit when everyone is fresh, if you get my drift.
No one has contacted me re the covid test I had on Thursday, so obviously I do not have it.
Take care everyone and stay safe. {hug} {hug&kiss}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Wishing you well.