No alternative

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: No alternative

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, been there, had it done and came out on 7th, recovering quite well.
I was doing physio day after op and have continued to do so although been difficult at times as knee blew up like a football.
Had two dressing changes, site clean and no infection. Will have half of my clips out tomorrow, Mond and the rest out next Thurs.
Only hiccup was they had a job to get the pain under control as I seemed to have an allergic reaction to almost every painkiller they gave me, including the walls moving towards me and my scar line oozing which I knew neither was happening, but what I could see.
I ended up with an epidural for various medical reasons and slept through it all, so pretty good imho as my biggest worry was I would hear them banging about during the op, so win, win.
I will have a a telephone conversation with physio on 21st this month and telephone conversation with consultant on 21st February.
I hope everyone is OK and keeping safe. XX
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Glad to hear you are recovering well and working on the exercises.
How is the pain now? is it better than before you went in?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Glad it's all done and you are recovering. Hope you are getting on top of the pain. I know what you mean about epidurals as I had both my hip replacements done with that method. The recovery is better than with general anaethesia. Carry on as you are doing and you will soon be walking about again and pain free. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Gwen I hope you continue to do well. The pain medication allergies sound horrendous, how frightening for you. Several years ago my neighbour had major surgery and she had some horrifying times post op.

Stay safe yourself.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks everyone for your good wishes.
The pain in my knee is very low and definitely much less than before the op, it is just the really dull low back ache from the epidural that is waking me up in the night and making me 'kind' of tetchy now, but the doctor did say it should only be another couple of weeks before that too disappears, so onwards and upwards.
I have/had 39 staples and half of them were removed this a.m. virtually pain free, so I am a very happy bunny today. To be honest I worked myself up because this is the first time I have had staples, so I was rather apprehensive, or to put it another way a total wuss. LOL
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think a little wuss-ery is allowed in the circumstances! No medals for brave faces, and it has been a serious op, so I think you're allowed. I hope you carry on recovering well. )t'
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Ah, thanks, FR.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Physio rang me on Thurs and gave me some more exercises to do, including manipulating my knee..........YIKES, not too keen on that one as it involves moving three different parts of the knee!
Remaining staples out on Thurs too, now have two steri strips as just a little opening after they were removed. Nurse said to remove them on Mond/Tues and put more on if still not healed completely or go back to her if I have any worries.
Finished warfrin on Thurs and can take stocking off next Thurs which I have got to admit I am looking forward to.
I am pottering around without crutches now and not much pain.
Back is a little better and I have started to sleep slightly on my side, so better nights sleep, happy days.
Stay safe everyone and take care.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

well done
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Onwards and upwards Gwen.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

It sounds as though you're healing nicely. Well done for sticking with it and following your recovery plan. You'll be on to pirouettes in no time!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Really, FR {rofwl}
Thanks everyone once again for good wishes.
Knee is loads better today, hardly any pain or swelling also not much back pain which could be because I am not on the crutches when I did tend to lean forwards.
Been doing the exercise to put your ankle up on a rolled up towel and let your knee hand loosely down onto the bed.
I think it may be some time if at all I can do that as I have always since knee problem started not been able to lay on my back with the back of that knee on the mattress, but I will keep trying, you never know, stranger things have happened.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I think I spoke too soon. I have had not so nice days here, feeling very, very sleepy, not being able to eat and to top it all I am not very hydrated either.
Had a really bad day Sunday and yesterday when all I wanted to do was sleep and be sick, but do feel better today.
I have knocked the pills on the head for a few days, it does mean I will possibly not be able to do all the exercises, but just cannot be doing with feeling zonked out all the while and the constant sickness.
Silver lining............I have lost half a stone, so less weight on the knee joints which cannot be bad.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Sorry to hear that.
I remember that difficulty of balancing pain relief with zonked-outness from MILs arthritis. Though they didn't make her sick.
Would a different brand suit you better?
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Yes, echoing Mo, maybe it would be worth having a word with the pharmacist. (s)he'd be able to tell you at least whether those are expected side effects, and whether another drug might be better - possibly even speak to your GP for you. I don't think it's necessary to feel so grotty from the meds., and they'll get in the way of pirouette practice!