When it becomes available, will you have the jab?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

When it becomes available, will you have the jab?

Post by fabindia »

It looks like a vaccine against Corona virus will be here soon, so will you join the queue or do you have reservations?

Personally, I'll be up for it. Corona isn't going to go away but with enough people with immunity the sooner we can turn this pandemic into a series of ongoing outbreaks of infections.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: When it becomes available, will you have the jab?

Post by Gwenoakes »

I am not sure. 50% of me says yes go for it and the other 50% says no wait and see and find out if possible what the short or long term effects of it could/will be.
You could say I am firmly on the fence with this one and not sure how to change my position if I am honest.
I think my judgment has been clouded by past experiences of being told and given something that would help/do me good only to find out that it created absolute havoc with me and ended up with surgery with no one taking responsibility and since then I have always found it difficult to make decisions like this. I suppose it makes me a bit of a wimp really, but just cannot get past it no matter how I have tried over the years.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote: 12 Nov 2020, 16:10 no wait and see and find out if possible what the short or long term effects of it could/will be.
I feel a bit like that too. For a start, we all know the vaccine has been rushed out quite quickly and even if it ticks all the check boxes for safety, we all react differently to antigens (this is what is going to trigger the antibodies) As an asthmatic and with a family history of immunological problems, all the more reason why it concerns me.

The other more cynical side of me is wondering why are all the older people and clinically vulnerable people being targeted first - for one, the vaccine might not work as well in older people, so wouldn't it be better to target the younger super spreaders first to protect the vulnerable ones (and get them back to work asap from an economical point of view). And secondly, any reaction to the vaccine might just flippantly be put down to "other health issues" (most people over 60 have some ailment or other whether it is serious or mild) And then a scary thought occurred to me yike* ... older and clinically vulnerable people are already a burden on the purse strings and the state pension, so why not use them to extend the "clinical trials" before rolling it out to the rest of the population.

I'm still reeling from learning that people with Covid were sent back from hospitals to care homes where it inevitably spread in the community and so many died - you didn't need to be a genius to work out that it was the worst possible thing to have done (and I'm not talking about hindsight - it should be standard clinical guidelines even before Covid) You could argue that Covid 19 was a novel virus so no-one knew anything about it but that was all the more reason to have taken extra precautions. It was incompetence on a grand scale which I just find utterly disgraceful.

And so that's why I don't have much confidence in the vaccine but at the same time, I won't be able to self isolate forever. I'd just like to wait and see what happens first before volunteering.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am also not sure about having the jab when it becomesa available. Being asthmatic, suffering from atrial fibrillation and living alone at over 80, I would be nervous of side effects and not coping on my own. I am still isolating while I wait for further surgery so will probly carry on down that road.
Listening to a talk about it this morning,there is so much not known as to how effective it is long term. Also although it may protect you becoming infected
it will not actually stop the virus getting on you which you might still be able to pass on .
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have seen a video about Bill Gates, he wants to vaccinate the whole world, so my answer is no.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I watched a video today, Professor Sucharit Bhackdi said he wont be having it.

ilona
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I will definitely have it. I was thinking of becoming a volunteer for the clinical trials, but when I discussed it with my son, he thought best not.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think that if you would expect the NHS to look after you if you caught it, then you should follow their advice.
If you take the view that the body / nature will heal itself and you don't want to live forever anyway, then, as long as you are prepared to protect other people by wearing a mask in public, and self-isolating if you have the slightest symptom, it's your choice to be vaccinated or not.
Vaccination is always a trick subject, those who don't have it are freeloading on the 'herd-immunity' of those who do. And I seem to remember that the fact that there was a decline in take-up of whooping-cough vaccine meant that it had to be given to young babies because the risk of catching was greater, even though the vaccine had less side effect in older babies.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
manda

Post by manda »

I will do what most nurses do and listen to the science.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

May I ask so far what the science is saying to you, Mo?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

There are six different vaccine developers in the running at the moment. Pfizer say they will be ready next month, Moderna say it will be Spring 2021 when theirs is available, a Russian contender has not yet given out any information.

Johnson says the UK had prioritised vaccines of different types with advanced supply chains.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Gwenoakes wrote: 17 Nov 2020, 10:35 May I ask so far what the science is saying to you, Mo?
Sorry the above should have been directed to Manda.
manda

Post by manda »

Gwen... the WHO have asked for a minimum efficacy of 50% but have said they would like at least 70%
There are currently 11 Covid-19 vaccines in late-stage trials and over 200 others being developed. The two front runners have been touted to be Pfizer and Moderna.

Currently the vaccine with the best response has been from Moderna and the advantage it has over the vaccine developed by Pfizer is it can be stored in a normal fridge (rather than at -70!!)

The problem will be to get people to have the vaccine. Given any vaccine is unlikely to be 100% effective, high compliance levels are necessary to ensure this threshold is met. For example a 70% effective vaccine would require around 85% of people to get the shot to pass this threshold. Kings College did a poll in mid August which showed that 16% of people said they wouldn't have the vaccine - so straight away, with those figures, you are looking at a vaccine failing.
he media reporting re this is very important. The Kings College poll was reported as “Only half of Britons say they would get a vaccine”, which is not how it was presented in the report, press release or on their webpage – where they were clear that 53% were certain/very likely to, and a further 20% were fairly likely to, and 16% unlikely or certain not to. If anyone was sitting on the fence that wouldn't help. I afraid that media and social media are responsible for so much misinformation it's very frustrating.

I find it fascinating that people will listen to "Madge from down the road" or "thingy on facebook" but they won't listen to people who have spent years studying epidemiology and immunology and have taken on the responsibility of tracking diseases and developing these vaccines.

In the first instance it may be the vaccine will be about reducing hospitalisation and deaths and I'm good with that but when they have demonstrated efficacy and enough vaccine I will be happy to have it because it's not just about me.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The problem I think with listening to the 'correct' people is that ordinary people like me are unable to digest sufficiently exactly what they are saying/meaning, so hence Madge and FB come into their own.
Many thanks for the info which I can understand.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gwenoakes wrote: 18 Nov 2020, 10:30 The problem I think with listening to the 'correct' people is that ordinary people like me are unable to digest sufficiently exactly what they are saying/meaning,
Trouble is, a scientist knows that things are rarely clear-cut 100%. Yet if they give all the uncertainties and exceptions it sounds too complicated. Or Madge gets the idea that they are not sure so can't be relied on. But if they decide (on the basis of the evidence) that it's sure enough and give a definite message then someone will accuse them of hiding the evidence.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire