When it becomes available, will you have the jab?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: When it becomes available, will you have the jab?

Post by Mo »

manda wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:38
I can see positives for both ...but I tend to agree more with the vaccinating healthcare workers first because their ability (for want of a better word) to become sick is greater.
The issue is not only the spreading of the virus (which is of course a huge issue) but the virus taking healthcare workers out of the workplace....so depleting an already depleted and increasingly tired workforce.
Exactly, and presumably exhaustion doesn't help you resist the virus.

Back in March there was talk of rationing ventilators by age (which seemed sensible), now things have reversed.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I read on the net that two healthcare workers had had an allergic reaction to the injection, not sure if that is totally true or not, but as I read it they had both had severe allergic reactions to either medication or something else in their lives.
I am still on the fence regarding this vaccine, but that would concern me even more because I myself have had severe allergic reactions to both asprin and penicillin in the past which were not at all pleasant.
I did ask my GP if I could 'try' penicillin again and he said that he would not want to read on my tombstone ........... oh yes she was allergic to penicillin.
This is just the sort of thing that really, really worries me because we have not got 'all' the information and nor could we have in such a short space of time. Goodness knows what the fall out from this will be.
HRT has been round for years and they have over the past few years begun to believe that it can in some instances increase your risk of breast cancer because oestrogen feeds breast cancer and HRT has oestrogen in it. When I looked into it some 20 plus years ago there had still been no 'matched' trials, just pockets of trials.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

like you Gwen I am allergic to asprin and penicillin which reacted by giving me a rash. I think they are talking about people who have a severe allergy to something. Not sure what is meant by severe. I do want to do the right thing but am a bit nervous about having this one. I heard this morning that another huge batch has been purchased so I think that this will be what is offered to me and probably soon.&
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Unfortunately I do not get a rash, June but my lips start to tingle madly within an hour and the inside of my mouth swells up and I have huge lumps hanging in my mouth, my top lip touches my nose and believe me it is not a pretty sight and I find it very difficult to swallow or eat anything and in some instances found it difficult to breathe too. This can last up to ten days even with medication and I feel absolutely wiped out when it happens.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I think you would be advised not to have this one. i don't know if the advice will be the same with the Oxford one when ready. it wasn't known about this one until 2 carers had side effects.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

The problem with vaccines in general is that the whole purpose is to kick start the immune system. Allergies tend to be the result of a heightened immune response to something specific (like penicillin) - an analogy to an over-reactive immune response would be like putting a small barbeque fire out with a fire extinguisher or a bucket of water but instead a 999 call went out and several firefighting trucks turn up on to the driveway ...

Some vaccines are made by incubating the virus in fertilised eggs - people with egg allergies tend to have an allergic reaction. The new vaccines have been using biotechnology to manufacture the active part of the virus rather than whole virus as they do with flu jabs. If you've not had an allergic reaction to flu vaccines in the past, it shouldn't be that different.
albertajune wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 15:17 I heard this morning that another huge batch has been purchased so I think that this will be what is offered to me and probably soon
If your doctor is aware of your allergies and concerns, I'm sure he/she might take that into consideration and suggest not having this batch of vaccine.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

If your doctor is aware of your allergies and concerns, I'm sure he/she might take that into consideration and suggest not having this batch of vaccine.
LL, do you think it's possible to do a patch skin test for something like this? Or maybe give the vaccine in controlled settings so they can intervene if there's an untoward reaction?

I think the first ones were given in hospital to be on the safe side of this issue.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Freeranger wrote: 16 Dec 2020, 17:09 LL, do you think it's possible to do a patch skin test for something like this? Or maybe give the vaccine in controlled settings so they can intervene if there's an untoward reaction?
The 2 nurses who had a bad reaction apparently had serious allergies which is why the advice went out. I very much doubt there is a patch skin test and those who may be at risk may be invited to have one of the other vaccines that will be available later.