The joy of swimming!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

The joy of swimming!

Post by fabindia »

We took our swimming gear with us when we returned to UK last April but since then all the swimming pools in our area have been closes. Although we live just 20 minutes drive from the North Sea, I am afraid I am not brave enough to venture in even in summer. So, we didn't swim for 8 months.

It is so nice to be able to have a daily swim here in Thailand. Not only is it good exercise, I think it is also mentally relaxing. I just hope things get better back in UK soon so when we are back at least we can have a weekly dip :-D
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: The joy of swimming!

Post by Gwenoakes »

It is good exercise, but not a good form of relaxation for me.
Before I could swim I was thrown in at the deep end of a pool and I have never got rid of the fear of that experience and it was a long, long time ago.
I will, providing the hospital says it's ok, be going into Clare's hydro pool at home after my knee op as I want to get back to normal a.s.a.p., whatever normal is.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I was frightened to death when I was sent to a freezing cold swimming baths on a school bus, and expected to do a handstand under the water. I just flapped my arms about to create a splash and pretend I was trying.

I think it might be nice to swim in the sea, but I couldn't get over the fear because I couldn't breath, so I never learnt. I still don't want to learn, and think swimming baths are horrible, smelly, and noisy places. Give me the great outdoors any day. Open spaces and fresh air.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

When Clare was doing her training to be a Canine Hydrotherapist she was told that if you could really smell the chlorine in or near the pool then the water was dirty. Now all I can remember about swimming baths was the real stinky smell of chlorine, so makes me now wonder how 'clean' these swimming areas are.
In her hydro centre there is only the faintest smell of chlorine and to keep it clean she has to check all the levels at least 3 times a day. The water is crystal clear which it never was in swimming pools I went in, so draw your own conclusions from that.
It seems like it must have been 'our era' to be dumped in a swimming pool, MQ.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Gwenoakes wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 12:28 The water is crystal clear which it never was in swimming pools I went in,
Slightly yellow?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

No, crystal clear. {rofwl}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Can you honestly say that as a kid...
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I could tell a porky..................but I won't although I never swam or got in a swimming pool till I was 16 so not a kid, unless you think different. LOL
Now that is a canunderum (sp)
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

You should all try scuba diving. It might sounds a bit scary at first, being under anything from 10 to 30 metres (30 to 100 feet) but once you understand the basics and learn to really relax in the water it absolutely fantastic. As I tell my students, it's not a sport for the fast and speedy, it is for the slow and relaxed - which is why an old man like me can do it. You swim really slow under water to conserve your air, and for 50 minutes or so you get to explore a magical 360 degree water world.

I actually got to scuba dive again a couple of days ago. There's not a lot going on here tourist-wise but there are a few Thais and ex-pats who still want to go diving. The company I dive for were short of a diving instructor and so asked me to do a 'discover scuba' dive with a mom and teenage daughter.
Michael