We'll need a negative Covid test before they let us back

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

We'll need a negative Covid test before they let us back

Post by fabindia »

I see from BBC news that all arrivals back to UK need to show a negative Covid test before they are allowed back into the country.

Of course we are happy to go along with it, but it does seem rather futile given the levels of Covid in UK. The island where we are on currently has had no new cases of Covid this week (there was a case of a father and two sons with it last week but they had picked it up off the islandand were quarantined) and although there is a 'second wave' of Covid here in Thailand, currently the situation here is so much better than UK.

One thing is for sure the cost of the test here in Thailand will be nothing like the costs in UK that range from £80 to £240 per person. I know in India they can cost as little as just £2.00 each.

Just to add, the fine here for not wearing a mask in a public place is approximately £500.00 - that applies to locals as well as foreigners.
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: We'll need a negative Covid test before they let us back

Post by lancashire lass »

fabindia wrote: 08 Jan 2021, 04:49 Of course we are happy to go along with it, but it does seem rather futile given the levels of Covid in UK
The concern is not to introduce the variant that has appeared in southern Africa which is not only just as transmissible as the UK one, but has also shown to have some immunity to the vaccine roll-out. With global travel, the risk is that this other variant may already be spreading out of the region, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if other countries don't also put the new measure into place.

The Lateral Flow tests are being carried out a lot more in the UK to target hot spots - even in my place of work, anyone wishing to return to carry out essential tasks during the current lockdown have to book 2 tests (3 days apart) before being allowed in. I think this is becoming the tool to control the spread of infection and with the vaccine roll-out, it is hoped that this will help to shorten the lockdown period if the rate can be brought down quickly. Of course, like all control measures, it is only as effective as the people doing all the right things - face masks, wash hands, social distance, limit people visiting other households, avoiding crowds and so on.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Will they be applying this new rule to those who come across the channel on an inflatable? That would be a good idea.

ilona
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Of course we are happy to go along with it, but it does seem rather futile given the levels of Covid in UK.
Surely this is the point of doing it? The circle has to be broken somewhere. I'm gobsmacked that this hasn't been the case right from the outset but better late than never.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

So how is that going to work? Will everyone be tested before they get on a boat or a plane, from whatever country they are leaving from? Who is going to pay for that? Will they be stopped from leaving, if so, that is the start of the planned health passport system. No travel without it. If they manage to get to our shores without a test, will they have to take on one arrival? Will they be isolated while waiting for the results? It will be interesting to see how it works out.

ilona
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I think the situation in much of Europe, including the UK and the USA is so difficult because of the overwhelming number of cases. In countries that have coped well up until now, if they enforce very strict quarantine rules, then they continue to stem the control of the virus.

We had friends in quarantine in Australia at the same time we were in quarantine in Thailand. Although they are Australian nationals, unlike us foreigners in Thailand, they had to stay in a hotel, at their own expense, and not leave their room or open their windows for 14 days.

By comparison, therefore, the UK requirements are quite lax. Even though you are Covid negative 72 hours before you leave where you are travelling from, what's to say you haven't picked up Covid on your journey? What's to say you really do self isolate for 10 to 14 days and not just go out and about to the shops?

I don't think there is a real answer until we get sufficient of the population vaccinated and reduce the pandemic to just local outbreaks that can be hit hard with lock downs and further vaccinations.
Michael
manda

Post by manda »

fabindia wrote: We had friends in quarantine in Australia at the same time we were in quarantine in Thailand. Although they are Australian nationals, unlike us foreigners in Thailand, they had to stay in a hotel, at their own expense, and not leave their room or open their windows for 14 days.
Yep same here in NZ
fabindia wrote: By comparison, therefore, the UK requirements are quite lax. Even though you are Covid negative 72 hours before you leave where you are travelling from, what's to say you haven't picked up Covid on your journey? What's to say you really do self isolate for 10 to 14 days and not just go out and about to the shops?
That was exactly what happened here in the beginning which was why it went to Managed Quarantine facilities....basically people just won't do what is asked....so then this comes into play and people then go on about nanny state. This is a public health emergency and if people can't see that by now then .....

fabindia wrote:I don't think there is a real answer until we get sufficient of the population vaccinated and reduce the pandemic to just local outbreaks that can be hit hard with lock downs and further vaccinations.
I think the only way to absolutely stop it would be for all countries to close their borders and deal in house until they have zero cases ...but that is never going to happen so...
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

manda wrote: 12 Jan 2021, 05:31 I think the only way to absolutely stop it would be for all countries to close their borders and deal in house until they have zero cases ...but that is never going to happen so...
)t'
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Someone moaned at me about one of their family had visitors from Sweden for 10 days over Christmas.
I said rather similar to what fabs said....they have more chance of catching off of us than us catching it off them !

Still rules is rules and there to be obeyed !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome