Will you be hugging?

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Will you be hugging?

Post by fabindia »

With the easing of restrictions, will you be hugging family, friends or perhaps even strangers?

In reality, this shouldn't be about what the government says we can and can't do, but rather at a personal level how confident we can be given what we are told about rates of infections, effectiveness of the vaccine, etc.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Will you be hugging?

Post by Mo »

At last we are getting advice that sensible people can follow. Up to now it has been a mix of 'you mustn't' and 'it is illegal to' which has confused people and because they see the illegalities some have not kept them.
As I live alone I have been in a bubble with my daughter since it was allowed, but after the schools reopened I used my own judgement and did less than officially allowed.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have done less than officially allowed like, Mo and tbh I think it will stay that way for a fair while.
My daughter is in a bubble with her partner which means that is two houses so no hugging for us with her or our grandaughter.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think one of the problems with people making their own judgements rather than following advice is that it makes it so much harder for those at the coalface to evaluate how well policy is working. Is it the policy that's wrong, or a lack of compliance? An extra factor to be estimated and considered.
There's a certain amount of judgement, in that I have more confidence in the people who've done less than allowed, so I don't mind hugging them.
To be honest, I think hugging is quite a recent obsession anyway! Not sure which is worse for transmission - a hug through clothes or a firm but naked handshake!!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

As a family we have always hugged. Since covid, one of my sons crosses his arms over his chest in a hug. But I confess to having been hugged five times in the past few days, mainly as a result of the bad news I received. We were careful, I wore a mask.

The Indian variant is a huge blow, just when restrictions eased yesterday. Let us hope that it is contained, and the patients recover.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

They say that those in hospital with it have not been vaccinated (and I think most were eligible), so let's hope that shows that the vaccine protects against it.
But while not everyone is vaccinated it will spread.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote: 18 May 2021, 12:01 They say that those in hospital with it have not been vaccinated (and I think most were eligible)
An independent SAGE advisor on one of the tv news channels this morning said that out of 18 patients, 12 had not been vaccinated for whatever reasons (refusal, unable to travel or some other obstacle), but that 6 HAD been vaccinated. Although the numbers are greatest in the non-vaccinated camp, 33% were vaccinated so that is a little more worrying about the efficacy of whichever vaccine, and that they were also in HOSPITAL which indicates serious illness which the vaccines are supposed to reduce.
Freeranger wrote: 18 May 2021, 08:27 To be honest, I think hugging is quite a recent obsession anyway!
I think it is too - it used to be just close family or in times of distress (if someone had received bad news or were grieving) but even I noticed just before the pandemic a certain amount of hugging from friends and colleagues which I found very uncomfortable (as in, receipt of a hug rather than seeing others do it)

Personally, not hugging now or in the future won't be a problem for me
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Nope. Don't like hugging, anyone.
ilona