Had my double hernia op yesterday!

Maintaining a better wellbeing, mainline or alternative
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Had my double hernia op yesterday!

Post by fabindia »

An early start as I was asked to be in by 7:15am but on the up side was first on the list for my surgeon. In theatre by 8:45am talking to the anaesthetists one minute, next out for the count. Awake in recovery by 11:00am. They thought my post op blood pressure was a bit on the low side so I was kept in for a few more hours to be on the safe side. Lots of tea and water to drink plus a few biscuits seemed to do the trick. Home by 4:00pm so all pretty straightforward.

No after nasty after effects from the anaesthetic and although they gave me codeine I've not needed it as I've just take a few paracetamol for the aches and pains.

Still sore and stiff today but probably not as bad as I imagined.

Just need to take it easy for a few weeks now - no jogging for at least 6 weeks which will be hard for me }hairout{

I must say the staff at the QE Hospital Gateshead were absolutely fabulous. So kind and caring - thank God for the NHS - they've had a hard time over the past 18 months or so.
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Had my double hernia op yesterday!

Post by lancashire lass »

good to know it went well )t' So quick too! In the late 1990s, my line manager at work went in for a hernia op and expected to be back to his desk within the week .... fortunately the main manager had insisted that my team be prepared for the unexpected and we all knew what to do in his absence. Thank goodness, as he was off for work for over 3 months due to complications (I don't remember getting paid for the additional responsibilities)
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

lancashire lass wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 13:52 In the late 1990s, my line manager at work went in for a hernia op - was off for work for over 3 months due to complications
I think the only option back then was open surgery, were the surgeon cuts opens up the area and stiches everything back in place. My surgeon did mine via keyhole surgery, so I just have three small cuts at about the level of my bellybutton where they inserted a camera and the instruments to stitch my meshes in place.
Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Get well soon Michael.