Ways of Communication

Jokes, word games, fun thread. NO DIRTY JOKES !
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Ways of Communication

Post by lancashire lass »

Not sure what you think of this one but hopefully get the brain cells working. Based on a training course I recently attended for work, we had to list the different ways we communicate whether by association, visual or audio. For example: emoticons, road signs, uniform

Like Word Association / Word Disassociation, one communication (+ examples) per post.

I'll start with:

Brand names eg Chanel, McDonald, Sainsbury's
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Ways of Communication

no takers? I'll post another:

International maritime signal flags - on ships
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Maybe you aren't communicating the gist of the game very well? :P

Do you mean like
understanding road users - indicators, hand signals, traffic lights?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

HedgeHugger wrote:Maybe you aren't communicating the gist of the game very well? :P

LOL - sorry, I didn't mean to make it complicated.

HedgeHugger wrote:Do you mean like
understanding road users - indicators, hand signals, traffic lights?

Yes, but maybe on the lines of:

"Hand signals" - a non-verbal way of communicating such as warning other road users, used by the military, or for those who are deaf or hard of hearing

"Traffic lights" - used to control vehicle traffic at road junctions or pedestrian crossing

"Car indicators" - indicate to other road users what they intend to do

If you want to explain then it's up to you, especially if it doesn't look that obvious. I had put a link on this example out of interest and additional information

lancashire lass wrote:
International maritime signal flags - on ships

Here's another:

Smoke signals

one of the oldest forms of long-distance communication. It is a form of visual communication used over long distance. In general smoke signals are used to transmit news, signal danger, or gather people to a common area.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Music - to communicate emotions (joy, wistfulness etc)
Playing, dancing & singing together - to communicate unity & co-operation
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am being really >dum< this looks really good but I am still a bit green
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

sandy wrote:I am being really >dum< this looks really good but I am still a bit green

I wouldn't worry about it sandy - it would seem I can complicate what I thought would be a word game to describe the different ways of communicating. As this thread is not attracting many people to participate, there seems to be no reason to continue. Here were some more examples that I could think of off the top of my head:

Bell ringing – call to church

Yodelling – alpine herders calling herds / communicating over distance to other people

Texting – written message on mobile phone

Sign language - using visual gestures and signs, as used by deaf people

Drums – used in cultures living in forests as a way of long distant communicating

Drums – ceremonial, ritual, entertainment

Telephone – used to talk to people over long distance

Skype – talk to people over long distance using the internet, usually viewed with a web cam

Email - messages distributed by electronic means from one computer user to one or more recipients via a network

Television – used to communicate with viewers as well as educate and entertain

clock face – communicates a measure of time

Dancing – instinctive, connects people to rhythm of nature / personal expression / social connection

Wearing a uniform - set of clothes that identifies the members of the same organization such as nursing / military / school / police

Face painting – ancient and tribal / identity (example flags of countries in world sports) / prelude to war

Flags – various purposes: Identity (such as heraldic flags used in medieval times) or signifying conquer (after a war and / or claim of new territory / or personal achievement after something of high risk and effort such as on top of a mountain, the earth’s pole, the moon) Also advertising, celebration, communication (ships / displayed half-mast during a time of national mourning)

Ring tones – a customised sound made by a mobile telephone to indicate an incoming call or text message

Memo - Informal written brief, note, record, reminder, or summary sent within an organization

Smoke signal - a column of smoke used as a way of visually conveying a message to a distant person

Beacon – used to attract attention for a purpose such as warn of an approaching enemy, a call to arms. When several are used over long distances, is a form of communication (example, in Lord of the Rings, or when the Spanish Armada threatened to invade England in 1588)

Nursery rhymes – used to teach young children rhyming songs now, it has been suggested some were originally used as a method of criticising or mocking the King and/or the Church indirectly so as to avoid death or torture for treason.

Rubber stamp – a definitive answer on paper forms (PASS/FAIL, First Class, No entry etc)
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Fashion choice - like goth/mod/punk/boho

Subtle, but shopping bags - Lidl or Harrods, TKMax or Gucci etc

Reading matter on the train - War & Peace/50 Shades...

Newspaper

iPhone or Android

This the kind of thing you mean??