New Photography Thread.

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: New Photography Thread.

Post by Meanqueen »

I was exploring a derelict mansion last week at Shireoaks near Worksop. It was boarded up, locked doors, and crumbling outbuildings. Sad to see it in such disrepair, but I think there is still beauty to be found in almost everything if you look carefully.

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I love derelict buildings - especially when nature starts to claim them
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A local walk I did on Sunday. I like the foreground to compliment the background, or the other way round, so I am always looking for two focal points. Camera low down to capture the grasses wafting in the breeze, and the cotton wool clouds on a perfect blue sky.

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

)t' May I also suggest trying a different frame? If you cropped the bit to the right of the grasses so that they become the right frame and make use of the path/bank on the left to direct your gaze forward (in other words, the grass seed heads are not the main subject but help to compliment the sky, if you understand what I mean)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Yes I see what you mean. That would be another option. I like the idea of the eyes following the path into the distance. Maybe I should have taken it slightly to the left to include a bit more of the hedge.

This is another version looking across the field. The grass gets kind of lost in the clouds.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The weather has been very changeable just lately. I went out for a walk when it was sunny, and was caught in a thunderstorm. Thank goodness I was able to stand in a bus shelter. Wonder if my camera will pick up the lashings of stair-rods coming down. Zoom in on the village hall.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A late walk around the village last night. The bonus of a lovely sunset. I love the way the weather and nature can throw up all kinds of opportunities for a good photo. I try to carry a camera with me at all times.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

An amazing sunset last night. I never get tired of snapping them.

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Lovely photo )t' I suspect there is some air pollution in the upper atmosphere (it may be particulates from the various wild fires?) which is giving some spectacular sunrise and sunsets. The other week when it was hot and evenings were muggy, I had left the back door open well after dark to let some of the heat out of the house - when I went to shut it before going to bed, directly in front of me was the moon and what struck me was how orange it was (not the usual white or yellow) An hour later I saw it again, and it was still orange.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I would have liked more bales of straw in this photo, but after trying several different angles, this is the best I could come up with. This is ok but could have been better with more bales.

ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Brilliant photos Ilona, thanks for sharing.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

It's easy to take a photo of a building. Walk around it until you find the right angle. Lincoln Cathedral on Wednesday.

Then look for another picture within a picture, and take a second photo.

Happy snapping everyone.

ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The Cathedral is an amazing building, isn't it. The only time I have been was when I was in my teens, to try and spot the Imp.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

)like(

I'd never heard of the Lincoln cathedral imp so of course, I googled (and apparently there is another one at St James church in Grimsby from the same story. Going slightly off topic, in that google search I came across a blog called Dory's World about rude gargoyles. I used to like looking out for gargoyles (hence the relevance for the photography thread) but this was, how can I put it, quite educational. I know the architecture is centuries old but I wasn't sure if it was appropriate to put a link here, so if interested, just google Dory's world + gargoyles (or in my case, "image of the grimsby imp" because I'd read that it looked different to the Lincoln imp)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well you should (or shouldn't) seen the fragment of Flemish Glass in Acton Church near Nantwich. The annunciation. And what is that sticking out from Gabriel's robe? Oh, that's how it happened was it?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire