Mr Spreckly's Bow Top Gypsy Caravans

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Mr Spreckly's Bow Top Gypsy Caravans

Post by Benny&Co »

Wow Spreckley the green and white caravan is absolutely truly awesome! What a very talented guy MrS is. Wonderful pictures, thank you for sharing them with us :-D :-D :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
MFMark
Lively Laner

Post by MFMark »

Spreckly wrote:Mark, we have been to Appleby once, several years ago, just as a day visit. Our friend whose bowtops are on this thread goes every year - not with his wagons, just with a trailer caravan.

I went every year when I was in that family, only for day visits though like yourself and I've been once since with my new wife but before we were married as she'd never been and wanted to, I doubt I'll go again now though, but I do love Bow tops. :-D
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Crikey spreckers, only just looked at this thread (I'm useless!!!).

Incredible!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Just remembered spreckers.

I stayed at a Hostel / B&B in Shap on my bike ride last year and they had this in their back garden..

[center]Image[/center]

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Richard - what a beautiful wagon, thanks for putting the photo on. OH drooled when he saw it.
andywatson
Learner Laner

Post by andywatson »

That really is a work of art. Thanks for posting the results of your talent. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
I am currently in the throes of building a narrowboat and am interested in the decorative styles of vintage boats which derived from caravans so there are some interesting links between them.

For interest I have posted a link to a photo of the back cabin of my last boat which is a replica of the old working boats. The entire family lived in small cabins 9 ft long so everything had to be very space efficient. The cabins were colourfully decorated with paintings and lots of shiny brasswork, lace and plates.

The old diesel engine you can see through the door at the front is a restored 1934 Gardner.

If the link doesn't work go to photbucket, look under username "andywatson_photos" and you'll find this photo and others of my chickens.

Regards A
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

)app( looks like a real labour of love Andy, well done
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Americanlady
Lively Laner

Post by Americanlady »

Just goes to show that imaginative people can create a lovely warm home anywhere. I'm so impressed, truly.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Interesting to see your photos, Andy. OH also does barge painting as a hobby.
andywatson
Learner Laner

Post by andywatson »

Possibly of interest...Please see below a link to the build blog of my boat currently in build:

http://walkerstug.blogspot.co.uk/2011_0 ... chive.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If the link doesn't work google "harris watson narrowboat build" and you'll find it listed.

The boat will be a replica (although built in steel) of an early 1900's wooden narrowboat tug. The hull is being built at Stourbridge by David Harris.
The build is shown right from the first piece of baseplate steel going down on the floor.
When he completes the steelwork in about 2 weeks time I'll be going down there and we will both work on the fit out.
(I had already started this but Dave had an accident in November and he's only this week resumed work).
I will be fitting the boat out and decorating it it the old traditional style with a proper back cabin and engine room - with another vintage Gardner . The decorative style is very much like the traditional caravans which is why Mr Spreckly's photo caught my eye.

The boat restorer and builder Ian Kemp and a traditional painter work on the same site so I try to put a few photos of their work in when possible.
See the entries for 25th and 30th September for some nice photo of back cabin scumbling and the traditional decoration of a back cabin.

BTW That's a nice little dog on your avatar Mrs S
manda

Post by manda »

Wow...makes fascinating reading...hubby's Aunt used to live by the canal at Debdale wharf.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Shrek
Lively Laner

Post by Shrek »

Spreckly, your other half is a true perfectionist.
One elderly cat called Chloe and Zak the baby tom.... Betty the Speckledy, Maggie the Black Rock and Kylie the Bluebelle !!!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thank you Shrek. I know they say the camera never lies, but ....

We are slowly loading the van up for a rally at the beginning of May, where we run a classic caravan club stand.

We are immune now to "do you sleep in it?", or "it looks like a railway carriage", and various other rude comments.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Thanks for sharing about your narrow boat Andy, lovely pictures there. We live near a canal too and always love to see all the lovely boats :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Spreckly wrote:Thank you Shrek. I know they say the camera never lies, but ....

We are slowly loading the van up for a rally at the beginning of May, where we run a classic caravan club stand.

We are immune now to "do you sleep in it?", or "it looks like a railway carriage", and various other rude comments.

Don't listen to them Sprekly, nasty people!! {warn} {hug} {hug}
Bev x