Blocking crochet

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
p.penn

Blocking crochet

Post by p.penn »

I haven't yet attempted to 'block' any of my crochet, but my daughter sent me before and after pics of her crochet bunting, and the difference was absolutely amazing.

The idea is that you pin out the crochet to the exact size you want, then wet (either spray/steam according to yarn) and when it dries, it retains that shape.

So, I have recently begun a granny square blanket, and have so far completed about 35-40 squares. Obviously I would like them all the same size before I join them (that will be another first!) and had a look online for a blocking pad with a printed measurement grid, as it will make it sooo much easier.

Unfortunately, most of them seem to be in the US - I did find this ironing board cover with grid for £20 which would be okish, but if I am getting one, I would really like something a bit bigger. The only other one I can find available in the uk seems to be28" square and almost £40 yike*

Anyone know where I can get one cheaper please?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Blocking crochet

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I don't have a proper blocking board. I use a foam playmat like this to pin out my knitting /crochet, and find that it works fine. I just use a ruler to measure if needed, but the foam has a sort of grid on it that helps me line things up.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks LBF - I had thought about using something like that as I know some do, but I read THIS and it put me off a bit! Also, it is the simplicity of having a grid that really appeals to me. As a matter of interest, is that the exact one you use? Do you cover it with a towel?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
julie62
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I must get one of those foamy things - I must admit to being very lazy about blocking - my method for small items is to wet them, spread them out inside a towel - then when I'm happy with the shape I put them under the cushion on my chair for a couple of days till my big fat bum has flattened it out {rofwl}

A blocking board sounds more professional :-D

There was something on Lucy's blog at attic 24 about blocking acrylic yarns a few days ago which you might have already read?
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Mine came from T£sco last year, so I presume it's exactly the same one. I've had no colour transfer problems at all (luckily - I'd never heard of the issue until I clicked your link!) - despite blocking a white, lacy baby shawl on it. I just block straight on to the mats.

Hulu Crafts is where I bought my blocking pins, and I notice that they have a blocking kit that includes a marked-out cotton cloth to place over a blocking mat.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
bobbinin
Learner Laner

Post by bobbinin »

Hi - I got my blocking boards in the US and they came with a white cotton sheet to cover them before blocking. I have never used it (always forget) but now always block my knitting. You are quite right, it makes such a huge difference. One tip - make sure that you use stainless steel pins. The T pins that are made for blocking are great and you will need more than you think! Before I got my blocking boards I used polystyrene boards and they worked ok although they don't interlock. Nice and cheap, anyway.