electric bike

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
jethro tull
Learner Laner

electric bike

Post by jethro tull »

well i finally got one last week, been waiting for the price to come down to something more affordable.

well it seems like a godsend to me as i have been using my old bike less (due to age) and this has given me a new lease of life. To feel the wind in my hair and the freedom to go wherever i like is brilliant. Now i can set off to places not worried if i can get back.

I don't always have the motor switched on but when i get to those hills that i cant climb anymore i just press a button and its like i am 18 again.

The only bad thing is i've noticed is just how poor the roads are especially at the edges so please everyone give room to cyclists because some of those grids and pot holes are killers.

paul
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: electric bike

Post by Richard »

Hi Jethro

Good for you !

I was speaking to my elder sister yesterday ans she said she's buying one.

I'm also considering one, not just yet though, want to see where I am in a year or twos time.

How long does your charge last?

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Ours is a thing that looks like a moped, rather than a bicycle, though it has pedals too.

Because of the moped shape of the bike, it's much more awkward to pedal than an ordinary bike, as the pressure you apply is not directly down from your body core but outwards a bit. It's hard on the knees, so I never use the pedals, but use it more like an actual moped. It's a lot heavier than a standard bike if you're trying to pedal it home when the charge has run out, too. (Once only. Never again!) I should think the bicycle-style ones would be much better on these points.

It has a top speed of 25km/h. The charge is supposed to last about 15km, but we've had the same Li Ion battery for a couple of years now, so I expect it doesn't get as far any more. We just charge it after a few short trips. I don't apply any power going downhill, as I find it goes just as fast without it and no faster with it, so that saves on the battery a bit. I also tend to coast to a halt rather than applying power all the way to the end and then braking.

The battery just lifts out from under the footrest, and then we can bring it inside to charge, which would be particularly handy if we didn't have power points in the garage.

Overall, I wouldn't be without it. I've had joint problems all my adult life, which means that, by the time I've walked from A to B, I don't have as much stamina as I need to achieve all the things I went there to achieve and also walk home afterwards. The bike has made an amazing difference to me, in that I can get to and from A to B quickly and relatively painlessly, and get more things done while there. If we didn't have one already, I would definitely buy one as soon as we could. I agree with Jethro that it really does change your life for the better, in terms of mobility. )t'
Richard

Post by Richard »

Have you a link to one?

Cheers, Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Aspasia
Lively Laner

Post by Aspasia »

Hi Richard,

It's this one:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-Road-Lega ... 3cd0c5680e

I'm not sure whether it's the same seller, but we did get it from eBay. It was £599.99 then, but much more now.

There's nothing to let you know what the battery charge level is, which is a bit of a nuisance. And when you use the indicators it makes a horrible blaring noise to warn traffic. But I do like it a lot.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks

Most seem to run around the 20 - 25k mark.

Richard )t'
jethro tull
Learner Laner

Post by jethro tull »

Hi everyone.

Sorry been away so didn't reply to your post Richard, the charge lasts up to 25 miles but this is really dependent on which of the 3 power levels used and how much time it is on. i havent yet run it till it is flat as i don't have the power on except for the hills. It cost £440 from tesco's, you can see them on their web-site.

The good thing really is that the motor and battery dont add much weight so i can use it like a normal bike and just use the power on hills or when i am knackered.

It is also a fold up, just 2 clamps and it folds down small enough to take on holiday in the car or store under the stairs

Overall i'd say although it is a lot of money to spend as long as it doesn't break down it is probably worth it as I have a large vehicle that is heavy on diesel but the main thing is it is a lot of fun