Textile art.

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Textile art.

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello. I recently finished another textile picture. It started life as a chrome towel rail I found at a car boot sale for £1. As soon as I saw it I thought, aha, there's a picture there. I wanted to try weaving and this would be the ideal frame for it.

I had a lot of white cord which I got from the Scrapstore, and wrapped it around to make the warp. Then I cut lots of strips of fabric to weave through it. I had a landscape in mind and wanted three trees. I like the colours Hockney uses in his landscapes so I thought I would try and do something similar. A tree doesn't have to be green/brown, it can be any colour.

I added beads, sequins, and made felt leaves.

I used different kinds of fabrics. The ones that frayed a lot and weren't the same colour on both sides were the most difficult to work with.

The trees I made with electric cable, the sort you rewire your house with. I cut the required lengths, bound the joins together with masking tape, wrapped them with beige fabric, then again with a coloured fabric. I found strips of teeshirts were the easiest to work with.

The towel rail had four legs, one at each corner where you screw it to the wall, a friend cut them off for me. The finished picture.

I have been given another towel rail exactly the same only slightly bigger. I did think about making another picture, but I have decided to mount this picture on top of it to make a frame.

This one is hanging on my living room wall at the moment, but now I am getting a few artworks together I am thinking I ought to exhibit them. If you want to see more of this one, it's on my blog. Thank you for looking.
http://meanqueen-lifeaftermoney.blogspo ... rials.html

Toodle pip. Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Textile art.

Post by Spreckly »

Most effective Ilona.
By Halves
Lively Laner

Post by By Halves »

That's lovely Ilona )like(
~ Annie

Two little kids, one big one and two grandchildren
Spongebob the cat on steroids and Gus who doesn't like him; silly Kittles and sensible Rags
lovely bantam girl Phoebe
and retired working girls: Florence, Miss McCluck and Mrs Brown

RIP little Rainbow and beautiful Angel xxx
perchy

Post by perchy »

Wow it is lovely and such alot of work, yes exhibit them, am sure you would get alot of interest )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I agree that you should exhibit them. They are so colourful and there is so much detail in them. I imagine that they look so rich with the different textures that you have used in them.
An inspired piece of work Ilona )like(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
manda

Post by manda »

That is lovely ...is the next one going to be a similar theme?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny