Ilona's Crafty Makes - Felt Hearts (and more)

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona's Crafty Makes - Felt Hearts (and more)

Post by Spreckly »

Just seen you tree from last month's post, Ilona, brilliant, and I love the bag. I wonder what you will make from your latest scrapstore visit?
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thanks Spreckly. My Scrapstore goodies will last a few months, so many projects going around in my head, it will get used eventually.

I like the idea of alternative Christmas Trees, like to break the rules, who says it has to be a tree anyway. I suddenly had this idea, it took an hour to knock up. Some pieces of wood taken from a paste table no longer fit for purpose, a T shirt from a charity shop bought for £1, some of it used for a previous project, and a bag of colourful mesh type pan scrubbers from the £1 shop. I bought them ages ago thinking I could make something with them.

I made the wood into a tree shape, cut off the one remaining arm and the polo neck from the T shirt, and put the frame inside. Wrapped it around tightly and tacked the excess to the back. Then I fastened the scrubbers to it with small tacks, and added a silver plastic flower to the top.

I think it looks pretty darn cool, I hope my neighbours like it as it sits in my window. :-D

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It will give the neighbours a laugh.
They'll probably think you are crazy - oh, hang on ..... =win=
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hello. This has been a few weeks in the making. I had an idea to make a hanging basket that didn't need any planting up, messy compost, dead heading, and watering. I had this chrome mesh baskety thingy which used to be a chandelier, retrieved from a skip. It was hanging in my back garden for about a year and is a bit rusty. First I covered it in a fine plastic green mesh, someone gave me a big roll of it, normally used in the garden. The flower shapes I cut from aluminium drinks cans, easy to do with nail scissors.

I don't know how many flowers I made, didn't count them, three different sizes. Two lots of petals and a bead fixed together with a short piece of wire, and fastened to the basket. It was a bit fiddly because I could only fit one hand inside to pull it through.

I had intended to hang it outside my kitchen window, the bracket is already there, but I don't think I will now, it might get nicked. I will hang it in the back garden when the weather gets better. Or hang it in or on the Summer House. It looks smashing in the flesh, all glittery. It would look nice with the sun bouncing off it.

Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Just seen your tree, Ilona, looks good, and the hanging basket - so much colour.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am still crafting. Just finished a set of colourful curtains made with small scraps of cotton fabric. The patchwork is machined onto a backing, which then has a second backing on it to hide all the stitching. They hang on the window at the top of the stairs at the back of the house. I have a single curtain on the window at the bottom of the stairs made the same way. I like a lot of bright colours in my house.

Ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Love it, Ilona.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I forgot to post this, finished a couple of weeks ago. All hand stitched, textile picture. I've put it behind glass but often textiles are not covered so you can see the different textures and embroidery.

Ilona
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

You make such lovely things Ilona.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this, Photobucket is rubbish to work with, the adverts slow it right down.

Just finished this picture. It has a mesh base, part of a £1 roll of wire with one inch squares. Strips of felt woven through it. Needle felting added and felt flowers. Lots of hand stitching. It's 23" x 24". I call it the Walled Garden.

Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

While I have Photobucket open, I'll put this one on here as well. A recent picture made from fabric scraps, there's a bit of snooker table green baize in there, painting, felt tip pens, beads, sequins and lots of stitching. The frame was an old brown one, and looks nice painted white. I call it Rocky's Place, because this is what I imagine Rainbow Bridge to be like, when he goes.

Ilona
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Fabulous ! ... I've been looking through this thread - the ideas, colours, fabrics the way the pieces have been designed, simply lovely !!! )like(
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Love the newly rec covered chairs on your blog Ilona.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Spreckly wrote:Love the newly rec covered chairs on your blog Ilona.

Thanks Spreckly. I seem to be on a mission at the moment to rescue stuff out of skips and give them a new life. The fabric suits the chrome of the chairs perfectly.

Four art projects on the go at the moment, also a chair, picture frame, and ornaments waiting to be painted. Sunny morning, will get my walk done early in case the rain comes later.
Ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A recently finished textile picture. I call it Sunrise at Happyland Castle. The frame was brown and gold, boring, so I sanded it, and painted it a plummy colour. Machine and hand stitching. The trees and castle are fabric that has a rubbery backing so they don't fray. It is 20 inches by 16 inches. and is under glass to keep it clean.

Onward and upward, making bags now.
Ilona