Did anyone collect.......

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Did anyone collect.......

Post by Gwenoakes »

I do remember having loads of marbles too and like you Mo did not play for keepsies. LOL
Oh, I did have several sets of jacks too, not sure what happened to either lot to be honest.
I do have my Dad's stamp album which is in excess of 90 poss 100 years old and not looked at it for years, will go and dig it out now stamps have been mentioned.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:And plastic figures in the bottom of cornflakes etc. We started opening the packet from the wrong end to get those.

{rofwl} I remember my brother & I used to do the same - my mother would get very cross with us, or the fact that our portion sizes used to get bigger so she'd have to buy more. Bear in mind I was living in South Africa so might have been different ... in the late 1960s/early 70s they had little plastic models of the rocket and lunar module in the Kelloggs cereals which you pulled off a frame and put together into 3-D models. Shell garage did a similar thing - every time you filled up the car with petrol (obviously I was only a child then so depended on the parents ...), you got like an aluminium coin commemorating something or someone to do with the space age / moon landing which you then put on a pre-made card (I think there were about a dozen different coins to collect) Unfortunately the coin was in a paper wrapper so you couldn't see what you got until it was opened .... suffice to say I don't think anyone managed to get all of them before the promotion ended even with swapsies.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I tried stamp collecting, didn't do anything for me. Gave them to my brother, he was more interested.

In my young teenage years I spent all my pocket money on pop comics, and cut out every single picture I could find of the Beatles, especially Paul, oh how I loved him. I had scrap books, hundreds of pictures in my collection. They were plastered all over my bedroom walls so I could see him when I woke up in the morning, looking down at me. Swoon swoon. :-D

ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Reading Ilona's post about collecting pictures from magazines, I have just remembered that I collected pictures of Dirk Bogarde. I had a huge crush on him. My school friend was the same, and if there was one of his films on at the local cinemas - we had two in the nearby town where we both worked - we arrived after work, ate our sandwiches during the film, and sat through the second house, often having to walk home. When I had my first serious boyfriend, who I might add after three years, chucked me just before Christmas, I gave my Dirk scrapbook to my school friend. I must ask her if she still has it!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Talking of scrapbooks and souvenirs, I was out calling at a Barn Dance last night and one of the musicians is (was?) from Liverpool. His sister went out for a time with John Lennon and had letters etc from him which she destroyed when she got engaged to someone else. She also sent a 10s note signed 'to Kat with love John Lennon' to a penfriend also called kat so that she could show it to her friends and pretend he sent it to her.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Mo wrote:His sister went out for a time with John Lennon and had letters etc from him which she destroyed when she got engaged to someone else.

Wow, pity about destroying them, they would be worth a fortune today.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes indeed
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

new trend now is LOL dolls...not me i might add. Apparently they are now in series 7 of them so tons to collect and the price is hysterical!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The trick of wrapping something so that you don't know what you are getting is annoying but maybe acceptable if it's a 'free with'. But I think it's disgusting when you are paying well over the odds for tiny plastic dolls - the LOL and Hairdorables are in sealed packs and there are loads to collect. My granddaughter had a couple of each - but none turned out to be the ballerina she wanted. And grandson collects football cards, again loads of duplicates and a lot of money spent.