Sportsmanship

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Sportsmanship

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all,
Well last night I played chess with SHMBO sisters hubby.
Well the score 13 each . Lovely well played game . No major mistakes by either of us and I won by a good bit of skill may I add . Lots of thinking and tactical banter by both. Now 14 -13 .
Now at the end he said he lost by playing this move or that move . This annoys me as I am trying very hard to get him to say well played You beat me , rather than I won due to his mistakes . Which is completely different and spoils the game I think .
I see no harm in saying I was beat or I won by skill or the better man won .
He was a lone child which I put a lot of this down to.
Now am I wrong in trying or should I just beat him as hard as I can with the chess pieces.
To the next game and a lunch to go with it.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Sportsmanship

Post by Mo »

If he says he made a mistake he is admitting that his skill isn't as good as yours.
By looking back at a move he might be trying to improve his game - or, as you say, finding excuses.
My grandson tries to get me to play Hearts whenever there are 3 or 4 of us around. His father is the expert - but being a card game there is some luck involved too. I expect to lose as I can't remember what exactly has been played. Today SIL was losing slightly till the last hand, when he got all the hearts + queen of spades*. My immediate thought was 'what have I done wrong now' and when I asked he told me (I didn't pass him a low heart). So maybe that will improve my game - or maybe I will have forgotten again by next time.

*winning tricks with those cards in them is BAD, unless you get all of them.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My mother was also a fairly random card player, it annoyed her when my father held 'post mortems' on hands after playing them. "If I'd had the king and you'd played the queen" - but he liked to think about the odds. I think if he'd been my generation he would have gone to grammar school, university and done well in life. As it was he earned very little as a hospital chef, and worked hard for all he had. )ot:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Take him out Bob

Richard :-D :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Well Sunday Starting at 14/13 to me .
First game had him on the ropes . I played stupid he gave me a lwft hook had my king and pawn 3 squares from his back line .He had a rook / horse and king .
Stupid so.... Played a move so as I could not move and I called a draw . With that he tried saying he can move somewhere else and making all the excuses like I have to move back and then re place his parts . After calling a few names and telling him to read the book . He excepted a draw . 13.5 /14.5
Next game same again I was up then went down and he finished me off. Both really good games and not sad about losing annoyed but good game . I made a big deal of shaking his hand and saying he beat me good and pleased at game.
BIG SMILE ON HIS FACE ..... Went OUT AND TOLD EVERYONE and re inacting his moves . Still has not got sportsmanship ....
Bob
Not once did he compliment me on my game just how good / bad he was .
Wait till next week . He is going to get the full works . Pressure is on.
No mercy ....
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mo wrote:My grandson tries to get me to play Hearts

that game is chase the lady although I have heard many different titles (not all fit for forum) for it over the years.

Bob I think that term that you are looking for is not bad sportsmanship... it's being a bad loser.
When I was on HMS Fearless many years ago as a Petty Officer we used to play games a lot, mainly cards but occasionally chess and the ubiquitous Uckers (funny game played on a ludo board with rules not dissimilar to backgammon if that makes sense?)
To me there were always two types of loser, those who do as you say, dissect the game and try and assume superior knowledge by telling you what they did wrong to lose, and those who accept it with a handshake. We had one chap with whom no one would play because of his total arrogance in playing any game, if he couldn't win he'd lose interest and stop trying whilst pointing out what he had done wrong to let someone else win. probably the worst loser I have ever know. He used to gloat a lot when he won as well.
There is however, also a rare third group who do the opposite to your chess nemesis and try and help you improve your game by pointing out what you did wrong to get beaten when they win, this is always handy when you are new to a game and learning the peculiarities and nuances of the game.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

saint-spoon wrote:
Mo wrote:My grandson tries to get me to play Hearts

that game is chase the lady although I have heard many different titles (not all fit for forum) for it over the years.

I think, back in the '60s we played it as Hello
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , I tried that . He changed his opening moves ,took a bit of effort to win . I do tell him how to improve , all he tells me is why he lost.
I get please from winning like most people. If I won all the time it would not be fun . 14.5 each and all to plat for.
I ask him at the start of the game lots of questions.
1 did you sleep alright last night. (Hangover often used for losing.
2 Is he well . Off colour and aliments used after the game of course .
3 Plenty of time to play .
4 roll his sleeves up as I lost a game I was winning when I knocked the bits all over the place and he would not agree to where the bits should be . Clamed the game as his , with a big smile ..... Gave it to him as in front anyway.
5 No distractions like his mum going to ring or friend comes round .
6 Right glasses on .
7 Eaten / drank . Stops for tea and drinks .... SHMBO ssometimes gets me out of trouble by making it .
Many more that I did not ask that he then says after the game.
Maybe a bad loser but I go back for more .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi I am hoping to get a game in or two today .As a draw the pressure is on and will have to play top game to stop him running around the street in a lap on honour shouting for joy .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Good chance of a game on Sunday . Hop[e it is a good one win or lose . Been practising talking rubbish to put him off , like how much is the euro , new Zealand dollar worth and where he is going on holiday next , Finally a how`s work (Not at the moment )
Bit under the belt stuff but got to keep the edge on him .
Also the Argh not that move on a bad move he makes and would not do that as check mate 3 moves if you do .....
If you think chess is a quite game you are wrong , it is a battle of minds and putting each other off thinking can lead to a mistake .

So many good sporting tricks like the cough and the offer of a cuppa tea and the going to the small boys room and saying no cheating to bring on another debate .
this has a disadvantage as you think more on off putting than winning the game . Both good sport .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Still not a match , worked fro the second full day putting plastic roof on SHMBO garage . Now having to replace another 3metre stretch as broke it also leaks from joining to the main asbestos roofing .
It is a pain and costly but will not get beat. Not a good sport when things go wrong . Lucky when I broke , no smashed the panel it was the same stretch.
Oh well not next week either as Partying Sat pm at a Golf club at Watford and Sun racing . Working both days as well.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Sunday managed to get a game of chess.
Really good game.
I lost about 8 pieces and only had taken 2 pieces.
Had him boxed in and well on the defence.
Played a move and lost my queen . New his horse would take it and was avoiding it but the temptation of getting him into checkmate over took my sense.
He then went on the attack left himself open and once again had him on the defence (forced moves ) .
But could not quite get him cornered . Needed one more move of which he then countered me.
From there it was no chance . Tried to lose my pieces (the few I had left ) , but could not get my king into a position of cannot move .
So score of 14.5 to him 13.5 to me ( Crowing louder than my cockerels ) and telling everyone what a good player he was. Said he was not going to play another game as he was up . Till next time. I did not mind losing as was a great game and even the smile on his face was worth it . I will knock it off next time , more to play for. He said he had been practicing on computer. Personally did not see any difference as played the same opening moves . Have to perfect my attack better .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all, Well we finally after I turned down many opportunities to play sighting sportsmanship and how to win (and loose ) .
we got down to another game . He white (as always ) , first mistake I say.
Being 14.5 to 13.5 down I had all to play for . He said before starting bi vocal glasses new ,I said to him either he is up to play or not -no excuses.....
I went on the attack right side . Slipped in to a good attacking position . Pieces took was a 1 bishop , 1 knight , and 5 pawns , he had 1 bishops , 1 castle 1 knight 3 pawns .
Less pieces but strong position . He attempted to attack my left and opened his defences in front of the king . In I went with Bishop , Castle and queen Knight covering the squares a couple of checks and he was not on the rope s but on the floor . Matter of a couple of moves King in the corner taking out his pieces one at a time . When I took his Queen for no piece he gave up and knocked his King over GAME to me .
Now the good bit.
He said I played well , deserved to win . Slipped into he made a mistake . I stopped him there and said he was doing well , but he did not make a mistake as I made him play the moves and had little choice . He nearly had me on his attack , if it was not for the fact that I was double checking and making my moves a good five goes a head I may have lost my Queen at least once .
Now that I previously said I was playing elsewhere and he wanted to play and his Mrs gave him a talking to on sportsmanship , (SHMBO sister) . SHMBO had some input as well . He is being educated. Single child and did not get brought up with completion etc....
Well now 14.5 each . Pressure off me as 2 down would be hard to pull back as when it gets to 1 up he stops playing and picks the moment.
Pressure is on him to learn new moves.
trouble being he does not understand my play so cannot predict what I will do next.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob next meet up bring a chess set .ang.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

will that be a team game, with the whites taking turns to make a move etc? Excersise in mind-reading.