Sportsmanship

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Sportsmanship

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , I let my self down terribly on Sunday . I did say ( as normal ) I was going to play well .
Ileft my board home and had to play with a horrible set with pieces missing and very small plastic replacements .
I lost both games and wish to forget them totally . Lost my queen in the first game for a pawn . Just not watching tunnel vision . Soon as I put it down I saw the mistake .
He played well and checked mated me with most of the pieces on the board and not much I could say . Well done him . Second game went the same way .
I was thinking of the phone call I got the day before (Sat ) from someone at work.
More on that as time goes on . Not leaving but the opposite I E promotional move ?
Well he wants more games now .
Strange that .
Score 9.5 to 15.5 to me.
I feel like I am well down and lost the advantage completely .
Keep well and safe .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

I attempted to play chess Sunday.
The first game was appalling exhibition of 2 useless players .
I lost my queen in the same way as the previous gams . I took a knight and the bishop took my queen . Very annoyed and shamed as should have known better .
But the game was balanced out but the last moves I had only a king , he had a castle and a queen and other piece .
He moved me to the corner which I planned . By rights I should have given up many , many moves before . He got me so as the king could not move and said he won .
Unfortunately I said it was my turn so it was a draw . offering my hand like a bargain of the week .
Should have seen his face ….
He stood up and looked over the board . Even the partners watching and chatting away was amazed that he had lost to a draw .

well I did take the mike and said we both played like novices .
He said another game and this was a better game and many moves made before I started taking pieces , reducing his and managing to get a few pieces a head and positioning .
Well reverse roles and I boxed him into a corner but not just the king he had a pawn in the far right side not moved from base line and free to move .
He had gone to the corner and I boxed him in so as he could not move his king . He jumped up and said a draw .
I said he could move .
He said showing me the king could not move to a square .
I said he could move , again he said no he could not . . I then mentioned he had a pawn …..
His face when he realised it .
he moved it once and I checkmated him to put him out of his agony .
So 1 .5 to me and ,5 to him .
Luck for me I managed to wake up in the second game.
17 - 10 to me .

As a note I plan to get a chap from my meeting to join in a game to give us some fresh moves .
He seems to be a keen player and should be a challenge to play .

Watch this space for our performance . I am sure I will meet my match .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I play 'Words with Friends' which is an online version of Scrabble.
My son-in-law introduced me to it and he can usually beat me. My grandson also has spells of playing. His dad doesn't believe in letting children win but when I first played with him I gave myself the handicap that I would play the first word I saw rather than spend ages thinking about it. So he used to often beat me. He is 11 now and beats me at cards without any concessions from me.
But playing with SIL has made me cautious. I know he will jump on any chance I give him. So I beat most of the random strangers the game offers me. Am surprised when they open the triple word square. And one friend (facebook and real life) who also plays complained that he usually won against anyone but me. Of course there is luck as well as skill in Scramble and card games, which makes things interesting (and give me an excuse!).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Ho Mo, SHMBO says I cheat at scrabble because instead of using up letters I go for points .
School teacher against a plank and I cheat ?
I do enjoy games on tables but have to be careful on how much luck is involved.
As long as you enjoy it the results do not matter . (I did not really mean that , did I.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Why is that cheating? Points it what it's about.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

teacher uses long words ,I am stuck with short triples etc and positioning on board.
I do not get to play it much now .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well I played one game on Sunday .
Started well I even took his queen which did not go down well with him .
But it did not last as I lost mine to a stupid move which put a smile on his face .
I failed in my attack and he took my bishop that was stopping a castle move to his right .
This through my attack out the window and he attacked and I did not recover .
Tried to get a draw but he was very careful and did not make the moves that I wanted him to make .
So one more closer to my lead .
17-11 to me .
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi I lost my rag with this chap ….
A game to remember for sure .
I now have somebody else to play and it is so different 3 hour sessions no arguing friendly chat and good company . Lives local as well .
I am winning but he has stepped up to the mark and now I have to play even harder to win or get a draw . We are learning from each other .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

You mentioned Scrabble up-thread.
I've been playing Words With Friends (similar but the bonus squares in different places, maybe to avoid patents) online. Started with SIL, he beats me most times, then the game offers me others to play against, and things are slightly in my favour, having learned the pitfalls from playing SIL.
The heading of this thread is Sportsmanship, but I am gleefully engaging it what might be called gamesmanship. One of the things you can do on facebook is look to see what letters are left (+ the ones your opponent has). So I've just won a game by blocking the only available i on the board and playing the 2 I had in places she couldn't use. So she was stuck with a q, 10 off her, 10 on to me. The previous game my opponent was stuck with a z.