Ilona's handmade makes. New thread

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Ilona's handmade makes. New thread

Post by Meanqueen »

Just finished a wall hanging, it's been a long time coming. Lots and lots of sewing. I wrapped rings with wool, (Dorset buttons) and stitched them onto a background.

It looks lovely in real life.
ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)like( it's beautiful. I love the colours.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Thank you. I find bright colours so uplifting. A little bit of sunshine in a grey season.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Very nice )like(
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I attended a six hour workshop yesterday to learn free motion machine embroidery. I've dabbled with this in the past but not made much progress. There were six of us, we chose the design we wanted to do, five different flowers, lunch was included in the £48, and it was great fun.

I'm going to buy a new machine this week, I fancy and upgrade.
ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Love it with its beautiful colours.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Were the machines provided on the course?

Meanqueen wrote:I'm going to buy a new machine this week, I fancy and upgrade.
ilona

The cynical part of me wonders if the tutor was sponsored by the manufacturer.
And thinks that you won't find one yellow stickered in Tesco.

But then, I do exactly the same, there's a huge TV on top of my tatty , 2nd-hand-50-years-ago sideboard. And I hate eating out because it costs a lot and is rarely exactly to my taste. Which makes it difficult to be sociable as others have more adventurous tastes and a more relaxed attitude to spending. But when I do spend I want to get what I want, not some cheap rubbish.
MeannieMo
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Yes, echo what June says.
Did you have to cut all the bits out or did they provide a kit?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

The squares for the background were already cut out, we had to lay them on the fusible webbing and press with a hot iron so they stuck in place. We had templates for the flowers, leaves and stems, we had to cut those out, and iron them on. There were written instructions, but most of us just follow what the teacher is saying.

The workshop is run at the back of a sewing shop, they have two basic sewing machines for sale if any beginners want to get started. There is a large work table which is occupied during the week by sewers who do clothes alterations. Those machines are available for the classes to use, or you can take your own.

It makes sense to use the facilities at weekends and evenings for the classes. We get 25% off anything we purchase at the time of attending a workshop. The variety is enormous, they have everything needed for sewing, and mountains of fabric.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Sometimes it's a good idea to go back to basics. A couple of weeks ago I went to a three hour workshop to learn some different embroidery stitches. There was only three of us in the class so the teacher had plenty of time for all of us.

I chose a butterfly from several different templates. Teacher had examples to work from.

This is the sort of thing I did at school, but playing around with something simple and small can often lead to ideas for making larger works.

ilona
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi I love looking at the close ups.
It made me think what the people made a couple of hundred years ago .
the courts in the Royal Palaces must have been grand to see .
hard to imagine when you look at a dummy in a show case .
Bob
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Might as well resurrect this thread, now I know how to add photo's. I have always got some art or craft project on the go. Something I finished last week.

The heart is embroidered, with strips of fabric added to frame it. Stretched over an 8 inch canvas, with a piece of fabric stitched onto the back of it. I like a tidy back.

ilona
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I love your colours Ilona. I have many pieces of cross stitch, patchwork, etc around the house, but as I said in your photography thread, I am unable to photo and download.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Spreckly wrote: 10 Jun 2021, 09:04 I love your colours Ilona. I have many pieces of cross stitch, patchwork, etc around the house, but as I said in your photography thread, I am unable to photo and download.
I am able to put photo's here because they are stored online on my blog. I copy the file code, click on the picture icon above, and paste the code in between [ and ] .

I am not sure how to move them from a file on the computer, to here. I'm not sure if that is possible.

ilona
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Recently finished. I used a piece of fabric with the design already on it, and added some artificial petals painted with glitter glue, embellished it with embroidery, lace, beads, and sequins. A piece of broken jewellery in the centre. It is stretched over a canvas and laced at the back, then fully covered to tidy it up.

ilona