needle felting.

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
albertajune
Legendary Laner

needle felting.

Post by albertajune »

On looking for a project for over the Christmas period I thought I might have a go at needle felting but it looks so complicated. Anyone done it and is it easy to get into? I was wanting to make little animal figures rather than pictures etc.
I must say that just by looking at books on felting it looks quite complicated and was surprised at how much water is needed for the process. Not something I can do while sitting and relaxing in my armchair. :? I may have a go at making a rag rug instead. Something my mum used to do when I was a kid. I feel that I will need to find something for Christmas boredom as the days seem to be so long and I cannot become a TV addict.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
wendy

Re: needle felting.

Post by wendy »

I have never attempted, for the same reason.
I cannot sit still so need something to do while sitting of an evening. I do knit.
But prefer cross stitch now There are many kits and so nice to give as gifts for people.
So it might be worth thinking of that, if felting seems too involved.
Whatever you do we have to see photo's when finished.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Never done it, June. Unlike both you and Wendy though, when I sit down I usually nod off. LOL
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi June, I have done some needle felted pictures, but not animals. You don't use water, that is something different, called wet felting. Best to look at some videos. You could do it on a tray on your knee. You will need a lump of foam to work on, special needles with a barb, and some different coloured merino wool depending on what you are making. The wool can be a bit expensive, try craft shops for small amounts. Basically you start with squashing a ball of white wool into a basic shape, then add layers of colour, felting it as you go with the needle. Usually a single needle is used for this. Be careful not to stick your fingers, they are very sharp.

Have a look at this video, how to make a dog.
https://youtu.be/raii6SWw3yY

ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thaks a lot Ilona. I thought that you did felting and will look at the link on my main computer tomorrow. The wet and dry is something that has had me a bit confused. Will have a go when I get the equipment needed but may be after Christmas )t'
grahamlml
Learner Laner

Post by grahamlml »

I got those needle felting things with 5 needles in I got for my mum, have used them myself and they ok. Have a little shield round that goes up and down as you use them so you dont prod the pointy bits in finger. I guess for detailed stuff single needle is needed.
Here's a link to one so you can see what I mean
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clover-Needl ... :rk:6:pf:0
Fish heads eat them up yum
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Funnily enough, I’ve been thinking of trying needle felting myself, and was only looking at kits on Amazon yesterday. Some are only a few pounds, so may well give it a go soon
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Well I have washed most of my alpaca wool and am now in the process of dying some of it. So easy to do with food colouring dyes and white vinegar. The brightly coloured dyed wool I will have a go at making pictures and want to have a go at kittens which look brilliant in the book. What mine will look like, time will tell.
I have ordered felting needles and combs but they are late in the post. I have used dog grooming combs which look similar but smaller for the wool that I have already done and it has turned out good.
Time will tell what happens and looking forward to a new craft.