any new hobbies?

From Crochet to Collectables and other Interests
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: any new hobbies?

Post by Spreckly »

Well done LL, I hope your keyboard gives you many happy hours.

I had to part with my piano when room was needed for Ted's hospital bed. It was rather a wrench, and I have requested my keyboard back from one of my sons, where it will not have been used.

I have all my sheet music and some of my Father's in a piano stool, the paper is becoming quite fragile, some of it from the 1930's!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Update re: electronic keyboard - it's been quite a steep learning curve this past week. Not only having to relearn how to play the instrument, but having to learn all the different functions (and terminology) to get the most of the keyboard potential which in itself is more technical than musical.

I was struggling with the manual and ended up googling for help - and found loads of YouTube videos, and then found myself watching other "related" videos about learning how to play the piano along with some useful tips. Including free courses, or tutorials, as well as accessing free music sheet online (if you wanted a particular song, just google the song + free music sheet + keyboard or whatever instrument, for example piano or guitar) With the digital age, you can view the pdf downloaded sheet music on a tablet (instead of printing or from a book)

After the delivery of the keyboard, I received an email from Amazon where I bought it from that the purchase qualified a promotional code to access Skoove for 3 months free (access to supported online lessons and songs. Skoove also offer a free 7 day trial if anyone else was interested) So no end of help available online - unlike when I taught myself through books before home computing and broadband was ever available.

And then of course, there are also drivers to download from Yamaha when the keyboard is plugged into a pc/laptop. I didn't have the relevant cable which could plug into the keyboard so I've had to order 2 different ones (one for the tablet and one for the laptop which have different size USB plugs) Who would have thought that so much was involved when buying a keyboard - that's the digital age for you!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It sounds very complicated, LL. Well done you for persevering.