Plastic bottles. survey for gov

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Mo
Legendary Laner

Plastic bottles. survey for gov

Post by Mo »

I filled in a 38degrees surveyand got this email to share.

Here's an email you can forward to your friends and family:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear friend,

Right now Environment Secretary Michael Gove is deciding what to do to tackle plastic pollution in the UK. He’s asking the public what they think about a ‘bottle deposit scheme’ - where a small charge is added to the cost of a bottle. It’s proven to increase recycling dramatically, and could help stop one of the main culprits of plastic litter from reaching our seas.

We need to make sure Michael Gove goes ahead with the idea. If thousands of us take the survey about bottle deposits now, he’ll have evidence that the public is behind him and will have to do it. So will you take the short survey now?

https://38d.gs/plastic-bottle-survey

If thousands of us take the survey on plastic pollution - telling Michael Gove that our recycling systems aren’t enough, and we’re behind a bottle deposit system - it could be the push he needs to act.

Will you take the survey on plastic pollution now? Your answers to the survey will be given straight to Michael Gove when the deadline for evidence ends on Monday:

https://38d.gs/plastic-bottle-survey
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Plastic bottles. survey for gov

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:He’s asking the public what they think about a ‘bottle deposit scheme’ - where a small charge is added to the cost of a bottle

... sorry, but this sounds like another "green tax" to me - do you get your money back and how? I'm all for recycling schemes and encouraging people to protect the environment, but I question how adding a blanket charge is getting people to do it? If I buy stuff in bottles, they go in my recycle bin at home or in the recycle bin at work so how does it work for me and any others who do that? The plastic bag charge in supermarkets works very well - people have the option to bring their own bags so only those who buy the one-use bags are charged.

No disrespect to the idea (and my apologies if this post sounds like a rant Mo, it's got nothing to do with you personally or the post), but like a lot of plastic packaging and so on - I don't ask for it but I have no option and then find I might be charged for it as the "bottle scheme" will most likely be just stage one for a much bigger picture. Tons of wasted paper get shoved through my letter flap that I don't ask for but have to dispose of even though it's not MY rubbish .... our local council are already thinking it a good idea to start charging people for the privilege of removing household waste and recycling (we already lost the free garden waste collection - annoying, especially as it gets composted and sold back to the public) so what do I do with it all? Not everyone has a convenient composting bin in their back yard / garden or even the time or inclination to deal with it all.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think the idea of a deposit means that you get it back when you return the bottle - like you used to on glass bottles.
I have some reservations too - I suspect that those who already recycle still will and those who don't care wont care. But maybe it could prove a fundraiser for scout groups etc. Would kids still want to scrounge bottles to increase their pocket money. Could do will one along the verge of our country lane - people eat lunch in the car and chuck everything out, I once collected enough glass milk bottles to fill a crate.
My other thought is if it stopped councils collecting bottles for recycling it could have the opposite effect.

Yes I very much agree about unwanted packaging and post. I've asked the postman but apparently they can't stop it, I have to call at the sorting office, where-ever that is.

But a survey is just that - a chance to put your views. So fill it in and say what you think.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wendy

Post by wendy »

tis done
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

If it is a deposit which is added onto the cost, and you can hand your bottle back to get the deposit back, then yes, I am all for that. I would go around picking all empty bottles up, and could make myself a few bob from all the lazy so and so's who can't be bothered.

However, I can't see it working. There would have to be multiple points everywhere that would accept them and hand over the cash. What happens if you buy a bottle on a day out and carry it around with you, where do you take it then. I think the councils should step up their recycling campaign and check that people are putting them in the right bin. My neighbour never recycles anything, it all goes in the grey bin for landfill. He even buys a good quality shopping bag from a supermarket, eats the food he has brought home, and the whole lot goes in the bin, wrappings, bag and all.

Ilona
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thank you Mo

)t' )t' )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome