Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Re: Thoughts for the new year - the plastics problem

Post by Richard »

Which Supermarkets are doing what..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-42652937

Scotland's plan for plastic bottles..

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/sep/05/scotland-planning-deposit-return-scheme-for-bottles-and-cans

Am I right or wrong?
Are there not so many, if any at all, of cardboard boxes available in Supermarkets.
Seems to me you could always get to the Till and pop accross to pick up an empty baked beans box etc.
Possibly health and safety as a fire risk !! or just keeping things clean and tidy.

Days were when we all found a suitable sized box to bring our shopping home in.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have been told by one of our supermarkets that they recycle them. I was told this when I wanted cardboard for horse bedding to put through our X shredder quite a few years ago.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Supermarkets send their cardboard back to the depot on the lorry that the deliveries came on. All baled up and loaded onto a contractor lorry to be recycled. If you could get your hands on a couple of suitable boxes and keep them in your car like you do shopping bags, that would work. Put them in the bottom of the trolley at the start of shopping, then load stuff into them as it comes along the belt after being scanned.

Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

Good idea...I do similar..I have my bags and a chilly bin (for the fridge and frozen food) in the boot.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny