Today Plastic straw free ...tomorrow who knows :)

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
manda

Today Plastic straw free ...tomorrow who knows :)

Post by manda »

How fabulous is this....my town are aiming for plastic straw free...I wonder how the MacDoodah's and Clucky Fried Chook will cope with that?!

Great start ...and with plastic bags getting a bashing here I hope it's the start of something big.

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-zeala ... -town.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: Today Plastic straw free ...tomorrow who knows :)

Post by wildlifemad »

That's great news Manda! We can hope that once one person does it, it becomes a knock on effect.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's great Manda.

The 'name and shame' or simply making these big Companies know they have to implement these issues is good.
The main complaints I have with MacDonalds are with their Customers who litter streets with empty containers and wrapping.
There are some things such as their Loos where they're doing good.

I thought it was amusing about two weeks ago.
Gordon Ramsay was on 'The One Show' when they had an environmental campaigner speaking about straws.
She bluntly said to him 'you are going to change to non plastic aren't you'.
He spluttered a bit, so she more or less forced him to say in Public that he would.
He did !!!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

there was an article on the BBC news on Friday - are we stuck with plastic drinking straws

I remember growing up using paper straws which I'd have thought was the better {hog} "alternate" to plastic but these are not being considered because they go soggy - I don't particularly remember this being a problem but perhaps memories fade with time.

Maybe the alternate is not selling a product in a package which requires a straw in the first place?
manda

Post by manda »

lancashire lass wrote:there was an article on the BBC news on Friday - are we stuck with plastic drinking straws

Maybe the alternate is not selling a product in a package which requires a straw in the first place?

Would seem to make sense ...but then that doesn't always prevail does it.

At least cafe's and eateries of whatever kind can do their bit and use metal straws ...if they have to use straws at all.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Or at least ask before they give you a straw. I don't drink through a straw, I drink from the glass so it just gets in the way. And I don't remember to say 'no straw' quickly enough.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Have noticed that Monty on Gardeners World is using wooden spatulas to write on now for seedlings instead of plastic. If all gardeners did that, think what a saving on plastic there would be.
manda

Post by manda »

)like(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

me too

)like(

I seem to recall my Grandfather telling us not to throw away our Lolly Pop sticks for this purpose.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

we, as a family, have gone pretty much plastic straw free. I never buy them for home anyway so it is only when we dine out or pop to the pub that we (I) ask not to have any straws with the children's drinks and because we have explained about the pollution they no longer ask for straws.
Bah Humbug
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I bought a new tub of cotton buds last week from Aldi & was very pleased to see they had changed the plastic stick for a paper one, well done to them & any other shops that have done it. Some of them are listening at last, hopefully it's not too late to look after our planet.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am saving the blue plastic from the used cotton buds, removing the mucky buds, and will incorporate them into a picture with other small plastic items I am collecting. The next lot I buy will be paper/cardboard.

I can't see the point in drinking through a straw at all, any straw, unless the person has a physical disability which prevents them from lifting a cup or glass.

ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I agree MQ, and it really annoys me when a straw is put in my glass without me asking - it just gets up my nose.
Though we had a girl at playgroup with (if I remember) a disfigured lip. her parents had been told to give her a straw to drink through to improve her speech.
I would have washed up the straws as well as the beakers, but the parents didn't approve.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire