Candles

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Candles

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not sure once again if this is in the right place....... I have spent some time this a.m. with Clare making soy candles. The reason being every time I buy a ready made candle I cough so much that I haven't bought any for about two years now. As christmas is coming I do like to have a chrismassy smell in the house, so looked into making some eco/human/dog/animal friendly ones, which tbh haven't turned out too bad and didn't take too long when we employed the microwave to dissolve the wax.
Anyone else tried to make their own candles?
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Candles

Post by Spreckly »

I once tried making wax candles from left over wax, using a cup and string. Not a success, hope yours are better than my feeble attempt.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Spreckly wrote:I once tried making wax candles from left over wax, using a cup and string. Not a success, hope yours are better than my feeble attempt.

Me too
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Never tried making candles from left over ones, but have put these in nice cups with saucers and also some green tinged glass containers which look quite good.
We melted the soy wax in the microwave, added some candle smelly, stirred, back into the microwave for a few mins and then put into the containers once the wick were put in with an attachment that rested on the top of the container to keep it straight. It does say to glue the wick down in the container, but I asked the person who I bought the soy wax from and she said it would be ok to not do that and the wick should stay in place and it did, more or less.
I will get a piccie and get Sarah to post it, so you can see what I mean.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Jim loved 'playing' with candles. One Christmas early in our marriage (before we moved and had a dining room) we had put a tablecloth on the kitchen table and had a candle in the stainless steel (mustard?) dish that came with the salt pot. It burnt down to a puddle of red wax and when the wick fell over Jim kept it going by using a spent match as wick. Until the Formica table top bubbled up. Neither the table nor the tablecloth were quite the same after that.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Mo - your post reminded me of a childhood Christmas. We had indoor fireworks, which burned a hole in a white damask tablecloth. Fortunately the table underneath was unharmed, as we always used a rubber backed thick pad! Memories!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Some piccies as promised. The metal on the top of the cup is what you use to hold the wicks in place. Leave it on until the wax goes hard and then remove.
There are one or two flaws in them, but I am pretty pleased with them as a first attempt.......blows own trumpet and daughters. LOL

KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hey they look fab )t' I've thought about making my own as I do like to have a candle burning (especially in the winter) but am a bit dubious about what goes into the shop bought ones. What did you use to add the fragrance?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx