finding toys that arent made in Asia

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
kitla
Legendary Laner

finding toys that arent made in Asia

Post by kitla »

When my children & their neices & nephews were babies my dad passionately supported the campaign to stop the horribly cruel treatment of "bile bears" in China. Because of this he refused to buy the children cuddly teddy bears made in China. A difficult task but manageable then if willing to pay a little more. Now my first grandchild is on the way I find myself feeling the same way about toys made in China & Indonesia because of the horrific treatment of some animals (eg meat dogs & donkeys) - I know there's cruelty somewhere in all countries but these are the ones that make me cringe every time I see that "made in.." label on a toy animal.
However, it's much harder finding anything now unless I'm willing to pay about £70. There are companies that advertise their ethical policy about slave labour etc but that's not the only issue for me. Does anyone share my feelings? does anyone know of a make of soft toy not made in Asia? perhaps I should make one myself! though no doubt the fabric would still come from china.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: finding toys that arent made in Asia

Post by Meanqueen »

I feel the same way, these countries have a horrific record for animal cruelty. As well as not buying from them I think we should also not be going there on holidays.

What about trying craft fairs for your home made toys. Some of them can be a bit expensive and you could ask the exhibitor where they get their materials.

ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

When our Grand daughters were born we wanted to buy them a "proper" teddy bear so we bought them a Merrythought Teddy Bear based in Telford & I believe they may be the last UK teddy bear maker. They are really good quality & the girls will have them a lifetime hopefully. Hope this helps!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Thankyou for reminding me about Merrythought WL. I had looked briefly at their site & brushed them off as expensive collectors bears. But I've had a better look through & emailed them about the sustainability & welfare guidelines re their materials & I have decided to buy Alice a Merrythought teddy (probably Digby the dog actually) as her naming day gift. I know they're expensive but many of us keep our special teddy most of our lives, or pass them down (I would still have mine if the attic mice hadnt eaten him!). I will get him a little dog tag made with a phone number engraved on incase he gets lost. I'm happy now! :-D
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant