Plastics

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Plastics

Post by lancashire lass »

KathJ wrote:I'd love to know what you're planning to do with the bottles once full??

... still undecided and of course, depends on how quickly I can make the ecobricks although I could still use bottles packed with other material such as sand to make up the shortfall. I'll let it be a surprise when it's done .... +f+
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have read a bit about the eco bricks and see that there are centres where they can be taken. They are then used by people, many overseas who put them to good use by building with them. The problem is finding a centre near you
They are not the prettiest of bricks so wonder if paint could be swilled around them before filling, or is that not eco friendly
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

albertajune wrote:They are not the prettiest of bricks so wonder if paint could be swilled around them before filling, or is that not eco friendly

probably not - I'd imagine anyone using them won't be able to see the contents and probably discard them in preference to the standard one. Anyone using them as building blocks might be setting them inside something like mortar so it's possible the brick will be hidden anyway.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Terry, my other half did not see how you could fix them together to build with. He didn't think mortar would stick to the plastic.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Gwenoakes wrote:Terry, my other half did not see how you could fix them together to build with. He didn't think mortar would stick to the plastic.

I don't think they are used like house bricks (as in stacked with mortar in between) but instead more like a filler when building walls - this link should take you to a Google search .... there are several types of walls built, some within a mesh frame, but some like low garden walls are within a concrete/cement mix
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Max McMurdo has been experimenting with using plastic bottles for building walls. He designed a cardboard box to hold eight bottles. Took his invention to Africa, and got the kids to collect bottles from the rubbish dumps. He didn't fill the bottles, but I suppose that could be done as well.

https://youtu.be/DQCjNzSl1Qg

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Doing my bit to reduce plastic )t' Not sure about the shampoo bar but have to say it smells divine (Ylang Ylang & Orange) - I have made a shampoo bar in the past but even the small amount of beeswax used to keep the bar solid eventually built up in my hair which I found unpleasant. This one doesn't contain beeswax so will try it out and see how it goes.

Shame both items arrived through the post in copious amounts of plastic packaging so seems to defeat the purpose of reducing plastic especially the shampoo bar although using the mesh bags for groceries instead of single use flimsy plastic should have long term benefits.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Cannot remember where I heard it, but some T bags have plastic in them including the ones I use.
Anyone else knew this?
manda

Post by manda »

Gwenoakes wrote:Cannot remember where I heard it, but some T bags have plastic in them including the ones I use. Anyone else knew this?

Yes Gwen they use polypropylene, a sealing plastic, to keep the tea bags from falling apart. This plastic is not recyclable or biodegradable.

So brands in the UK that don't use plastic.....
Abel & Cole
Clipper
Pukka Herbs
Teapigs
Twinings pyramid range
Waitrose Duchy range

and the one's who did have plastic but are either in the process of changing (might already have done completely) or who might soon change if the court of opinion has any effect on them.
Co-op (announced plans to get rid of the plastic strip that seals its own-brand 99 tea bags).
PG Tips (SAYS ON THEIR WEBSITE....."We’re committed to moving all our pyramid® bags to a new fully biodegradable, plant-based material).
Tetley
Twinings 'heat-sealed' and 'string and tag' ranges (heir loose leaf pyramid tea bag range does not contain plastic and is fully biodegradable. However, their 'heat-sealed' and 'string and tag' ranges do include plastic).
Yorkshire Tea (aim is that all their UK tea bags will have switched by the end of 2019...so I wonder about the rest of the world??).
Lidl own brand (NB: their pyramid teabags are made from 100% bio-plastic and are fully biodegradable).

Easiest way to be sure your tea is plastic free and so completely biodegradable and good to go in your compost ....loose leaf and a tea ball (I've got stainless steel and I've had it for I don't know how long but I reckon at least 10 years that I can think of - could be a lot longer ...you can use a small one for single cups just like a tea bag or larger ones you can put into a teapot or reusable teabags and not have to use a tea strainer if that's not your thing.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

A man in front of me at the supermarket checkout yesterday bought a trolley full and had no carrier bags. He bought five or six of the 10p plastic bags for life. I wonder if he will use them over and over again, and when they fall apart, get them changed for new ones. I doubt it. He will probably forget to put them back in his car, and the next time he shops he will buy some more.

In contrast I am still using my home made shopping bags, made from a gazebo roof, ten years ago. They will never wear out. I have been given a load of fabric, four big bin bags full, and I will be turning most of it into shopping bags. It's going to take me ages, but I keep spreading the word when I give them away. REMEMBER TO PUT THEM BACK IN YOUR CAR, OR PUT ONE IN YOUR POCKET WHEN YOU NEXT GO SHOPPING. it's not that difficult, is it. >shrug<

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Meanqueen wrote:REMEMBER TO PUT THEM BACK IN YOUR CAR, OR PUT ONE IN YOUR POCKET WHEN YOU NEXT GO SHOPPING. it's not that difficult, is it.

to be fair, if I know I'm going to my big shop (Saturday mornings) then it's a no-brainer and I'd agree but just occasionally, especially on my way home from a particularly stressful day at work when I'm tired and don't fancy cooking a meal from scratch, I might pop into the local supermarket for a couple of items and come out with a little more than anticipated and been caught out. Most times it all gets rammed into my forgiving bottomless pit of a handbag and the rest carried in my hand to the car but other times not always possible. When I have remembered to leave a plastic bag in the glove compartment for a similar unplanned future shop, I have been surprised how quick some checkout girls are at asking if you need a plastic bag before you've had time to produce the one you already have.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

lancashire lass wrote:Doing my bit to reduce plastic )t' Not sure about the shampoo bar but have to say it smells divine (Ylang Ylang & Orange) - I have made a shampoo bar in the past but even the small amount of beeswax used to keep the bar solid eventually built up in my hair which I found unpleasant. This one doesn't contain beeswax so will try it out and see how it goes

Well, I tentatively used the shampoo bar this morning and I am honestly very happy with it (especially as it was one of the cheaper shampoo bars I found on ebay) - after wetting my hair, I rubbed the bar in it to start the lather and it rinsed out fine, then I followed it with my usual brand of hair conditioner.

The shampoo bar came with all the ingredients listed so I googled shampoo bar recipes and hit on this site: The Soap Kitchen - wow, oh wow I am in heaven, and the prices seem very reasonable (I'm not sure about the shipping costs for small purchases - I think spending over £200 for free delivery is way outside my budget)

Short of advertising their products, I particularly liked the bases (for melt & pour soaps, hair conditioner, lip balm, deodorant and so on) in which I could tailor for my own use with various additives (whether natural or chemical), fragrance and colours. They also sell ingredients if you wanted to make soap from scratch as well as containers that could be re-used (which is the whole purpose of reducing plastics in the house) but I'll check out some other sites first, and soap moulds although someone once recommended this site if anyone is interested or a local crafts shop whichever is easiest. I can feel a new project coming on .....
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I really like the shampoo bars, I think they're so easy to use. The one I'm currently using was quite expensive but you don't need to use a conditioner or rinse after as it's all built in the bar and my hair feels really soft after. I'd never go back to shampoo in a bottle again )t'
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

)t' I've been very happy with my shampoo bar - it lasts a long time too especially as you only need a small rub to get a good lather. However, I have found I need to use bottled shampoo about every 2-3 weeks as my hair doesn't always feel clean after a while (whatever ingredient like the beeswax in my shampoo bar recipe must need a wash out) but otherwise all good. Because I have fine flyaway hair I need the conditioner but only use a small amount.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Recycling site for the unrecyclable plastics

With collecting some plastic packaging from work to make up some ecobricks, I found myself delving into the office bins and came across no end of biscuit and crisp packets. I knew there was a recycle scheme through Walkers so thought I'd look it up. There are other schemes too with various drop off points or if you want to become a public collector. Things like pens (such as Bic) seems like a good one for work places but I really was quite surprised about just how many other plastic waste collection schemes there are though some do seem to be for specific product brands rather than general. And of course there is the travelling to take into account but I suppose if you collect enough then it might be worth it especially when dropping them off at the same time as doing the shopping or whatever. Anyway, here is the link if interested:

Terracycle