Meat free meals for climate change

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Meat free meals for climate change

Post by Freeranger »

No I don't like the LMcC ones either - I found them very fatty in texture and a bit bland.
I think it gets easier the more you do it and the more your store cupboard flexes to the new regime.
You might also try keeping batches of frozen tomato and white sauces, pastry, leftover cooked pasta, and batters in the freezer for less faff. A veggie lasagne from scratch is too much bother, but can be knocked together quickly like this.
More suggestions - savoury pancakes, crispy pancakes (home made), noodles ( home made pot noodle works), leek & cheese pie, cauliflower cheese (actually, veg in cheese sauce is nice, especially with tatties), pasta & veggie sauces, baked potato with e.g. tuna, cottage cheese or beans & cheese, quiches of various hues and with or without crust (a favourite is spinach salmon and cottage cheese), pizza, omlettes, spanish style huevos rancheros, tarts - rolled puff pastry with e.g. cottage cheese, tomato and basil or frankly anything that needs eaten then baked, good chunky soups with crusty bread (tuscan bean soup a good nourishing meal), hummus and other dips with veg/crisps to dip in, fishfingers mash & peas, a lovely mixed garden salad with a poached egg on top, moroccan couscous with roast veg, ratatouille & rice, beans on toast with poached egg....Often just bigger versions of lunch.
Not all pricey and really a great way of using left overs. I'm sure Ilona has a million suggestions, and the chef Jack Monroe is brilliant on the subject. Look for tins of beans in essentials ranges.
I think it still counts as reducing your meat consumption if you just have scraps of bacon, ham, chicken and fish (tins of sild/mackerel etc are very cheap and nice on toast and in sauces or quiches) etc., so if these all sound a bit worthy, you can bung in some meat.