Plastic packaging ban could harm environment

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Plastic packaging ban could harm environment

Post by lancashire lass »

I can't help feel that whoever wrote the report had shares in plastic packaging ... one example was being able to keep a cucumber wrapped in plastic fresh for 14 days to reduce food waste. Seriously - how many people keep a cucumber in the fridge for 2 weeks before deciding whether to eat it? So many food items already come in a cardboard box already so don't need a plastic wrapping, and why can't more supermarkets open up food dispensers where you take your own containers and fill to give people more options? I'm not impressed.

link to BBC news
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Plastic packaging ban could harm environment

Post by Mo »

Well it takes me a while to get through a cucumber. So I do leave the shrink wrap on, and put it in another plastic bag in the salad compartment. They keep better since I read a Which report saying don't get them too cold.
And someone on here who grows cucumbers suggested the wrap is to protect from bruising since supermarket cucs have been bred to have thin skins. Not that it always works, I sometimes find a soft patch on the side, as if someone had squeezed it.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

In the words of Piers Morgan, 'The world's gone nuts'.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

That report seems to me to be a well thought out response to a real problem. Life is not as simple as just swap A for B and carry on as before.
How many previous environmental or health scares can you remember, and the bandwagon jumping by companies. My response is always YES...BUT
Don't buy coloured toilet paper, keep the river free of dye. Yes, but what about the bleach used for white ones.
Avoid artificial food additives. So the labels read No artificial sweeteners or colours. (Yes, but some of the natural colours can be harmful too)
Children eat too much sugar. So now the labels read No added sugar. Yes, but I want to buy squash without artificial sweeteners and you can't any more.

Life is complicated. You can't just tackle one aspect (as an ex- mathematician I know the perils of sub-optimising).
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire