Storm Dennis

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Storm Dennis

Post by Gwenoakes »

How is everyone doing with the above storm?
We are not too bad, horse field almost totally flooded, we have just completed a hangover at the front of the stables and so far the stables are still dry, no rain blowing in. Top cover on hen run been blown off so now chickens are paddling, but tbh seem to be enjoying it. It is the first time they have had puddles of water in their run, that is apart from the odd one or two.
Our drive is pretty good too the drain into the dyke over the road seems at the moment to be taking the majority of the excess water.
I see there are red flood warnings in parts of Wales and other places, so everyone please take care.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Storm Dennis

Post by Spreckly »

Chucking it down here in East Yorkshire, about two and a half miles from the North Sea. The wind has got up again, and the water butts are overflowing. The drive and my parking space are under water.
wendy

Post by wendy »

It has been the same down in the softy south.
Just stayed inside while it has been dreadful outside
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

yep, I anchored down and basically stayed indoors all weekend. A quick glance from the patio this morning and all seems fine. At work I have had to go via the motorway this past week due to a major bridge closure which has caused significant traffic problems - all last week as I crawled across the River Trent bridge on the M1 due to the traffic diversion, I can recall craning my neck to see the river but this morning there was no need as it was a vast expanse of water. Even on the A543 diversion, fields near the Radcliffe power station were swamped with water.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We've been really lucky. We're in North Shropshire so the worst has been further south from us. The fields are under water and our lane has been flooded on and off but thankfully it isn't near the house. The girls run is a mud bath though, we keep trying to dig it over (which they love) to get rid of the standing water but then another heavy shower and it's as bad as every. I've had a couple of near misses where I've moved and my willies have stayed still {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks to Dennis, I had a spectacular fall in the muddy back lawn at the weekend. I have tried to be so careful, our lawn is narrow, and the paving slabs are so slippery, but he got me! Had to sluice my jeans, jacket and fleece down before putting in the washing machine! And it is raining again here!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Oh, crikey Spreckly. Are you hurt badly and have you been looked over by the doctor?
If you have any Arnica tablets, take some for a few days, it will not harm you in any way and could help. If you have an Arnica plant use the liquid from inside the leaves to rub on where you hit the ground or any Arnica gel.
Could you take a long stick out with you when you have to negotiate the back garden, it would give you something to lean on at the very least.
It is raining here again, real heavy downpour, so anything/everything that was drying out slightly is now absolutely sodden again,
Take care everyone. {hug}
wendy

Post by wendy »

Can only ditto what Gwen has said.
So easily done.
Arnica is brilliant for bruising.
I hope you don't hurt too much {hug} {hug}
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks Gwen and Wendy for your concern. I am OK, thank you. I have walking sticks belonging to my grandmother, but normally I have the shovel (for the dog) in one hand, and often an umbrella in the other! I haven't any arnica, what an old fashioned remedy that is, so will try and get some from the chemist on my next visit.

Beautiful day here at present, I gather Dennis is coming back at the weekend though yike*
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Glad you are ok. I use a walking stick Jim grew (& cut) when I walk with the U3A. Very useful for keeping my balance in the mud.
Hope it doesn't pour in Macclesfield on Sunday, my daughter's Morris side is dancing and I was planning to watch.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Looks like you are all still suffering with the remnants of storm Dennis.

Hoping you all keep well - and dry I guess.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Could you order some Arnica on line, Spreckly?
I have taken some today as I missed the last few steps on the stairs this morning and went a cropper, luckily I always make sure I hang on to the banister, so relatively OK.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Shouldn't laugh but
I've had a couple of near misses where I've moved and my willies have stayed still

That sounds quite nasty!! You don't want to leave them outside in the mud. yike* yike*
Also Spreckly & Gwen - do take care, both.
We've had pretty much non-stop wind for about ten days now, and snow for around 50% of that and rain for most of the remainder. After Ciara snow melt, the burn in our garden was the highest we've ever seen but thankfully stayed within its cutting. All the other drainage channels backed up and overflowed, so the rest of the garden was very wet and with standing water just from lack of drainage.
Have stayed indoors mostly but feeling a bit stir crazy now. Everything I want to do now is outside. Could do with just some 'not rain'.