Query about contagious surfaces

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Query about contagious surfaces

Post by Spreckly »

There seem to be various theories about Covid - 19, and contamination. At present, I am sanitising everything which comes into my home.

One of my sons informed me that the virus does not stay on cardboard, but the Hermes man told me that it could live up to six days, the same as on metal yike*

I disinfact my wheelie bins with domestos, the drive gate, snecks, etc. I also clean off any post, someone else commented on this, it might have been Gwen.

What a performance, better safe than sorry, etc.

Hope all Laners are managing. {hug} {hug}
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Query about contagious surfaces

Post by fabindia »

Spreckly wrote:better safe than sorry, etc.

As you say, 'better safe than sorry'.

In the end I think it is all down to how you evaluate risk. One risk factor of course is that many people health-wise are in a high risk category to begin with. After that, what are the chances that your delivery man or someone else who has touched a package actually has corona and then on top of that has coughed on the package?

I have seen it somewhere stated that as much as 90% of corona is caught in doors not outside (hence the problem in care homes) so that is another factor.

In the end I think it is difficult to judge how fastidious without being paranoid we all need to be.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

It annoys me that much of this post is stuff than goes straight into the recycle bin anyway. At least they seem to have stopped delivering the bundles of stuff without addresses.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I am managing. I am not reading everything there is about catching the virus in many different ways. It can do your head in having so much information. I take reasonable precautions. Don't touch anything when I'm out, carry hand sanitiser if I am shopping. Open doors with elbows or feet, or push open with my body. Use ordinary gloves to move my bin. Wash hands frequently. Leave shopping in porch for a while before bringing into house. Keep away from people.

Agree with fab, it's how you perceive risk. I don't have any health issues as far as I know, but it could still get me. I live in a village, big open spaces around me. I just take sensible precautions, but not going to let it dominate every waking minute of my day.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I too am not watching everything on tv about this virus. I think it would blow my head if I did, so just pick and choose and then switch off.
I wipe most hard surfaces down either with bleach and water or wipes and like I said before go a bit over the top if anything comes through the post. We are all washing our hands as requested, so hopefully we will keep safe as I hope everyone else will be.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

A parcel of grass seed arrived earlier. It is now sitting on the picnic table, after being washed down with bleach! Hoping to sow tomorrow.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I had heard paper and cardboard it was hours rather than days.
I bring letters and stuff in, unpack in the utility room and leave it there, for a few hours. Come in and wash may hands. Same with the post box.
I deal with the rubbish bins wearing my outdoor gloves and then take them off and leave until the next time..
Try your best without getting OCD.
I havent been out now for 4 weeks. I have wonderful neighbours and friends.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

It wasn't grass seed! I had got all the necessary garden tools, compost, etc out, and discovered on opening that it was my pack of disposable gloves. Wiped the packet down with diluted bleach and the contents are now in the wash house, where they will remain for some time. It was from China yike*