Extinction

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Extinction

Post by fabindia »

I don't know how many of you here watched BBC's program Extinction at the weekend. Really we all know what is going on with environmental degradation, loss of habitat, global warming, etc. but we appear to like our heads firmly in the sand.

We have have approx. 7 billion people on earth today and everyone of us has a choice, to be an eco-warrior or an eco-wrecker. I do feel that the majority of us would like to fall into the first category but often we don't know where to begin. But little things do make a big difference. Rather than just tutting about how some people are just litter louts, we can pick up other peoples litter. As the advert goes 'every little helps'. We can help with beach clean ups. We can plant insect friendly flowers in our gardens and even, if you have space like we do, keep a few bee hives going. We can help by making sure our gardens aren't too tidy thus making wildlife corridors for small creatures such as hedgehogs.

There are loads of simple things we can do but I do fear people in general will just carry on the way they do now and the earth will become blighted for our children and grandchildren after us.
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Extinction

Post by lancashire lass »

)like(
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I found the program so interesting and enlightening. The program showed what damage has been done in just 50yrs. I agree that we should all make changes now and that things can be reversed. However, I also think that most people will carry on as they are. Many are not bothered with what is happening to this planet and all who inhabit it. This has been shown with the attitude of some by not helping others at this time of stress.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I finally got round to watching the recording . On the one hand it was a good attempt to make people aware of what is happening and the causes but I was a little disappointed by the "action plan" - "if everyone did their part, they could turn the tide" speech was not clear enough in my opinion. Do what exactly?

We've all been told about things you can do with climate change (cut down on fuel consumption and carbon emissions, eat a more plant based diet, plant trees and so on) and ways of reducing plastic pollution, but nothing about what people can do to "do their part" for this. Sure, you could apply both the climate change and pollution reducing which would obviously help a lot as both play a significant role in the demise of wildlife but so far neither of these 2 challenges seem to be going too well as it is when leaving it up to everyone to do their bit. Until governments around the world do their part and act on it, the industrialised destruction will continue.