Discarded face masks - the new litter problem

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Discarded face masks - the new litter problem

Post by fabindia »

I don't understand people who litter at the best of times. Empty aluminium drink cans, plastic bottles and the like are bad enough but but now I see used face masks thrown away in our town centre.

What idiots do this sort of thing? If they have Covid it is a biological hazard to the street cleaners tasked with tidying and even if not it's pretty disgusting anyway.
Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Discarded face masks - the new litter problem

Post by lancashire lass »

fabindia wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 14:02 What idiots do this sort of thing?
I ask myself that no end of times. What is so sad is that it isn't just down to the odd individual here and there, but on a much bigger scale suggesting a large number of people who just don't care about anyone but themselves. It's become so habitual to discard their litter for others to pick up, they don't see what the problem could be. On the one hand, I suppose we should be grateful they are actually wearing a face mask in the first place (hopefully correctly) but the idea that wearing a mask is to protect others (wearing a mask doesn't protect the wearer) gets lost in the message when they just discard them without care.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Discarded face masks - the new litter problem

Post by Spreckly »

We get carrier bags of rubbish dumped in the open fields near our house, now the mask problem.