Wasp Removal No Kill Way

Discussion on living for a better and more responsible future
grahamlml
Learner Laner

Wasp Removal No Kill Way

Post by grahamlml »

Come home to find a few wasps buzzing about in shed after a few days break. Did notice the odd wasp over last few weeks when doing my Vespa px at odd times but tonight appeared a few and circling around a lot. I could not see a nest in the usual places I look and remove so reckon could be in stuff on the shelves which is tat only removed during festival time about once a year so most likely behind that lot.
Is there a way of persuading them to go without killing them.
I am sure I put petrol on a tray on floor a few years ago and that shifted them. I have lived with quite a big nest ( small football size) in the shed before with no bother from them being in the corner and keeping my distance and no problem all summer but the ones i encountered this evening seem a lot more aggressive.
Thank you.
Fish heads eat them up yum
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Wasp Removal No Kill Way

Post by kitla »

if you can keep out of their way for a while they will abandon the nest in Aug/sept. Until then they are just feeding the grubs & the grubs give them syrup, once the grubs are gone they start to starve, hence the invasion of our drinks & jam! My theory is that if you then leave something sugary at the end of the garden that will stop them needing to come in the house. (havent tested my theory yet!)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My theory is slightly more vindictive - jammy jars with water in and holes in the lid. I'm live and let live with everything except wasps.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I used to feel like that Mo, but I've learned more about wasps & they are actually important as pollinaters & pest controllers. Mosquitos are another matter, I've not heard anything positive about them yet so they still get squished!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 22:19 Mosquitos are another matter, I've not heard anything positive about them yet so they still get squished!
Mosquitoes are food for flying insects and birds, while the larvae in water are food for umpteen aquatic species (including dragonfly larvae and fish to name just a couple who benefit)
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Every species is there for a purpose. Wonderful, as long as they keepaway from me. I must say that I have not see any wasps this year, just a garden full of bees.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

lancashire lass wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 16:58
kitla wrote: 30 Jun 2021, 22:19 Mosquitos are another matter, I've not heard anything positive about them yet so they still get squished!
Mosquitoes are food for flying insects and birds, while the larvae in water are food for umpteen aquatic species (including dragonfly larvae and fish to name just a couple who benefit)
I know that really :oops: I'm just in denial to justify having to squish them when they invade my bedroom at night.
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote: 02 Jul 2021, 10:27 I'm just in denial to justify having to squish them when they invade my bedroom at night.
ah well, if the stupid mosquito ventures into hostile territory, then squishing in this case is totally acceptable )t'
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Hi Graham - see my recent post here - viewtopic.php?f=101&t=57271

Wasps can be a worry in sheds and garages but if left to their own devices aren't usually a menace. Incorrectly, people think that the numbers of wasps increase in the autumn but the reality is the wasp population is probably at its greatest in July and August but we don't notice them as they are busy out hunting insects to take back to their nests.
Michael