Hens in terraced house front garden?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
carolyn4animals
Learner Laner

Hens in terraced house front garden?

Post by carolyn4animals »

Hi guys, I am new on here and am looking for advice. I have my name on a waiting list for an allotment but it could be a 4 year wait :(. I am desperate to rescue a few ex battery hens and 4 years seems so long. I was just wondering if it would be possible to get a coup and run in our 'small' front garden that is paved with a tall hedge around. We are in the middle of a row of terraces. The space available would be roughly 4 ft by 10 ft. Is this too small? Any advice greatly received.

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Hens in terraced house front garden?

Post by Grannyof4 »

Hello, personally I would say it is not viable. That is the minimum for 4 hens and could get sick. Also there is nowhere for them to scratch. Presumably you have a gate as it is the front, so not safe. You would still need to securely wire all round and make fox-proof. You have the danger of people throwing stuff over. Do you not have any back of house space. This is purely my opinion, others may differ.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Hens in terraced house front garden?

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , My view would be if in a run/coop and neighbours are understanding I think it is possible.
Reasoning is if you do not take in rescue girls they will only be killed , a chance of a life is worth taking .
Grass can be collected from else where. Room to move is available . You will be spoiling them without doubt .Food etc given .
They need attention and cleaning up the floor .
Tray for bathing in. Perches . Bet it would attract attention and new friends. My girls go out the front and crowds take pictures and never get bad feed back from anyone.
If it did not work out they could get re homed by someone.
I think it is really down to the neighbour hood and if safe from humans .
Let us know how you go , interesting to see.
Years ago most people had hens and rabbits (for food ) .Same thing but pets .
Bob