You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
john h
Learner Laner

Re: You and keeping Chickens didn't quite work out?

Post by john h »

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have had 2 chickens for just over 6 months ago, we got them together and they have been the best of friends..until yesterday. All of a sudden one of them, the Speckledy, keeps going for the Black Rock , and just can't understand why. They have always stuck together, where one goes the other does too, they are great layers, they have plenty of food and water and treats, a decent sized back garden with soil for them to scratch about in, so why this sudden change? The live in a shed, which is blacked out, in fact when they had gone to bed last night there wasn't a sound from them, or this morning before I let them out. But it has started again today, not constantly, but perhaps every half an hour or so there is a lot of clucking from the hen that is being chased. We only have the 2 hens! Has anyone got any ideas what the problem could be, I really don't want to get rid of them, but they are making a lot of noise too and am concerned about the neighbours. I live in Blackpool.Thanks.

Chookiehen
Learner Laner

Post by Chookiehen »

Hi you are more likely to get responses posting in perhaps the keeping chickens thread

tbh There could be lots of reasons there not getting along first thing though it is always recommended that you get at least three hens so that they can establish a pecking order as if one dies your not left with a lone hen which is harder to integrate with new hens or an existing flock

Is the bully guarding the food stations so the blackrock can't eat is the bully constantly attacking and chasing the blackrock or is in response to something or somewhere the blackrock wants to go ? It's very difficult to assess without seeing the behaviour or more specific description on behaviours
If the blackrock has plenty of space to get away and isn't being attacked to the point of blood being drawn then all you can do it hope it settles they will not fight once roosting and in the dark. If blood is being drawn then you must separate them even if you have to put one in a cat box or similar to protect it until you can get more advice and help
john h
Learner Laner

Post by john h »

Yes, I realised as soon as I had posted I had probably put it in the wrong section. The Blackrock is eating ok, sometimes when we scatter bits of food in different areas of the garden, the speckledy has to come and eat in the same place as the other, but she just moves out of the way and pecks somewhere else. The garden is a decent size and she gets away the majority of the time. I separate them for a while, they put them together again and all is fine for a bit, they even go and sit together like old times, then it starts off again.
Martha
Learner Laner

Post by Martha »

Hello, please could anyone help by giving a home to my 2 hens? They are the remains of our original flock of 8 and seem lonely. As we don't intend to get any more, we are worried that eventually one will be left completely alone so think it would be kinder to settle them both into a new flock before that happens. One is a Poland, the other a Sussex hybrid. They are about 4 years old and in lay. They are both healthy and regularly de-wormed, mite protected, etc. We would be happy to pay for their keep and grateful to see them settled in a happy home. We live in Woking, Surrey but could bring them to a new home within reasonable distance.
Ladylil
Learner Laner

Post by Ladylil »

Hi

I have a light Sussex hybrid I need to rehome ASAP in the Bristol/South Glos area. She's laying well but I live in a built up area and she can be quite noisy in the morning so feel it's best (for all our sakes) to rehome her. Any takers?
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I live in bristol can u pm me your details I maybe able to help
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Ladylil
Learner Laner

Post by Ladylil »

Hi Sandy, I really hope so! I'm at my wits' end. I've pm'ed you. Laura
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Details sent to you Laura of how to find me Sandy
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Samianne
Learner Laner

Post by Samianne »

Hello

If anyone could help. I am looking to rehome 3 hens in the leeds/yorkshire area.
As part of the purchase of our house in October 3 hens came with the sale. We thought we would see how it goes. It sadens me to say we now looking to rehome them, there is nothing wrong with them, they are still laying and eat well. But i feel that the area we live in is not right for them, plus we dont have the biggest of gardens and they take up alot of the space we desire.
The chickens come with a coop, some sawdust and what ever pellets I have left along with some mash and grit.
If you are interested them please let me know. I am hoping to rehome them asap
Thanks
Sam
elliebear15
Lively Laner

Post by elliebear15 »

Hi Sam, do you still need to rehome your 3 girls? Sorry for the long delay in you getting a reply. Will PM you too.
Ellie x
jessroberts
Learner Laner

Post by jessroberts »

Me and chooks have really worked out! I love my girls (2 ex bats who arrived in the usual sorry state, and took days to pluck up the nerve to walk on grass but are now fat, healthy and bolshie!) Sadly we must part company - I'm moving house and the logistics of moving them to a house with no suitable housing for them. Would anyone be able to offer them a good home? I don't want money, just the knowledge they are happy. I live near Doncaster. We're moving in July.
Heatherc
Learner Laner

Post by Heatherc »

Hi, I have 4 bantams which are approx 3years old, 2 buff & 2 black Pekins, all good layers. Due to change in job, I need to find a new home for them, albeit reluctantly. I live in Telford, Shropshire. Can anyone help? Free to a loving home
manda

Post by manda »

Hi Heather and welcome - I'm sorry your first post if that you have to part with your banties ...I've put a note up on the Lane FB page hopefully that will get someone...are you a member of that page? If not I'll ask one of the admins who is on the same time zone as you (as I'm on NZ time LOL!!) to help out if anything turns up ...makes contact easier...hope that helps :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Heatherc
Learner Laner

Post by Heatherc »

Thank you Amanda. No I'm not on that FB page but anything which can help is much appreciated
Lady Muckpicker
Learner Laner

Post by Lady Muckpicker »

jessroberts wrote:Me and chooks have really worked out! I love my girls (2 ex bats who arrived in the usual sorry state, and took days to pluck up the nerve to walk on grass but are now fat, healthy and bolshie!) Sadly we must part company - I'm moving house and the logistics of moving them to a house with no suitable housing for them. Would anyone be able to offer them a good home? I don't want money, just the knowledge they are happy. I live near Doncaster. We're moving in July.

Hi Jess

I don't know whether you've already re homed your hens but I could take them if I'm not too far away? NG14 area.