Three Henz and an Omlet Eglu/Run in Wilts/Dorset

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
GoldBerry
Learner Laner

Three Henz and an Omlet Eglu/Run in Wilts/Dorset

Post by GoldBerry »

Right, I had best buck up and get this done, even though it wounds my heart full sore....I have three elderly chickens (known as Da Henz) who I need to rehome due to my progressive health issues and moving house. The girls don't lay much anymore (though they often surprise me!) and one might get an egg or two a week, but mostly they're just fun. Venus (the optimistically named) brown, Lucy is my Speckledy, and Henzilla (yes really) is a Bluebell. The girls are in relatively good health considering their age, but aren't the sort of Henz you'll get a cuddle with as they have never enjoyed being handled. I find a bit of sunflower hearts thrown in strategic places gets them going where you want them to go. Henzilla is afraid of everything, including trees, rocks, leaves and small birds. But they're fun, inquisitive, sometimes too smart for their own good (Venus's other name is The Great Hendini) and I will miss them terribly, but it simply has to be done.

Since these are special circumstances where I basically need to move anyway, I may as well offer up the Eglu, the run that goes with it, the tarps, feed and water dishes, and the rest of their food - they prefer the Omlet pellets. It would be a better deal I was able to clean any of this stuff for a prospective person before pickup but I'm afraid I can't. It embarrasses me but this is after all why I need to let them go, after all.

If anyone can help give these girls the good retirement they deserve, I'd be very much in your debt.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Three Henz and an Omlet Eglu/Run in Wilts/Dorset

Post by kitla »

I cant help you myself but just wishing you luck finding them a nice home (and bumping your post) How old are your chooks?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Me neither, but just a thought - it might be worth dropping a post onto the DTL facebook page as well?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
GoldBerry
Learner Laner

Post by GoldBerry »

The girls are in their third year, heading into their fourth. I honestly was surprised they were laying at all this year but I still got a consistent amount of eggs, even though I lost one of my girls this summer (fair enough considering their age). Honestly, my Henz are weird Henz - I have a feeling they may surprise someone with a few more eggs than one would expect from hens this old during the summer if they live that long.

Afraid I don't use Facebook, I've cut way back on social media stuff for my own sanity and blood pressure! But thanks for the suggestions and the bump.
GoldBerry
Learner Laner

Post by GoldBerry »

Fingers crossed, I think I've found someone who will take Da Henz! I'll see how it goes.