free range farm hens in Northants

Ex-Battery Rescue Info, Other hens needing homes & Hens wanted
kitla
Legendary Laner

free range farm hens in Northants

Post by kitla »

I thought I'd pass this on for anyone that's interested. While looking for a hen I found an ad in the Kettering fridayads for 16 m/o hens being sold for about £3, available now. This farmer sells them privately.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant

kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: free range farm hens in Northants

Post by kitla »

I'm bumping this because having picked up my hen today I've met this really caring farmer who really wants to rehome his hens rather than send them to slaughter. His hens are true free range, with grass & trees. He's between Corby & Peterborough & he still has about 300 left to home, he's asking about £3 each. Please pass this on to anyone that might be interested. (BHWT wont take them as they're free range.)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Feeling rather sad about this. I told the farmer I'd spread the word to help him rehome these hens, but my efforts have been mostly in vain. I posted in a chicken forum that shut down the next day, and a facebook group that deleted my post as they only allow official rescues to advertise (& those wont help with free range hens) Now I've noticed the farmer has reduced the price from £3 to £2, which makes me think they're running out of time.
I'll put the link on here to his ad....(mods if that's not ok please delete it.)

http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/peterborough ... -16215388/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Kitty, why don't you post on the DTL Facebook site as well? There might be more people active on there.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

KarenE wrote:Kitty, why don't you post on the DTL Facebook site as well? There might be more people active on there.

that seems a good idea Karen, I have tried to join the group several times but nothings happened. these chooks dont have much time, it may already be too late as the ad has expired. If anyone is interested PM me & I will pass you the phone number (the farmer said I could do that)
--Immanuel Kant