Last tango in Halifax

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Last tango in Halifax

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

me three )t' - and another series to come )app( )app(
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Awwww.... )c( )c( )c(
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Cannot wait for the second series. This has been a very warm, emotional series - think Derek Jacobi and Ann Reid are fantastic in this - well aren't all the cast? )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I thought last night's episode was very good and look forward to the next series. I like how they've fleshed out all the characters so it's not just about Celia and Alan too :-D
Lyn
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

The script and acting were beautifully done , the scene between Celia and her daughter during the dinner party felt to me, like somewhere I had been - not the same dialogue but the emotion behind it . Wonderful series.
Now last night when they said a new series, I was delighted as I didn't want to say goodbye to the characters but this morning I am wondering as they had all moved towards conclusion of their individual stories and I wouldn't like another series for another series sake so hope the scriptwriters have something special up their sleeves.
I am sure a lot of us would have watched it anyway but I am glad I flagged it up on the forum as it cements what a group of people with similar thoughts we are.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

Annie I think you make a very valid point about them doing a second series. This happens all the time, a series is popular so they milk it so much that it ends up being totally boring.

I guess the ending last night left us all to come to our own conclusions as to what happened to some of the characters. I like to think Celia and Alan got married as for awhile last night it looked like their relationship had hit the rocks.

Not really sure what they could do with all the other characters because as you so rightly pointed out they had all moved towards conclusions of their individual stories. Sorry had to pinch your wording as you put it so well and I am crap at things like that :oops:
Lyn
Legendary Laner

Post by julie62 »

I really enjoyed it too - I wasn't surprised when they said there'd be another series - there's so many characters, unresolved issues etc I think they can get loads more out of it.

And its so refreshing seeing a drama with old people at the centre of it - old people are so often invisible on our screens unless they're being discussed as a problem.

Agree about the acting too - really strong performances - I think Anne Reid and Sarah Lancashire were both brilliant and I've always loved Derek Jacobi.

We need more dramas like this - every other drama on our screens are usually about mur.ders or crime - there's so much more to life isn't there?
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Have to say I looked at my watch at 9.45pm and wondered how they were going to wrap it up in 15 minutes screen time!!

It will be interesting how it develops, hope it doesn't go too dark though, it's nice to have some lighter stuff to watch.

Blimey, it all goes on in Yorkshire doesn't it, makes us Southerners seem quite tame!

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Sunny B
Legendary Laner

Post by Sunny B »

I really enjoyed it, but like others I'm not sure if it would stretch to a whole series again.
Missing my little friend Sunny Clucker
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

We had the same thought at about the same point Richard!
I think there's enough there for another series - assuming that it's a relatively short series, as this one has been. I think that they have sowed enough seeds for other stories that will be kind of 'satellites' to the central relationship.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Riders of Rohan
Learner Laner

Post by Riders of Rohan »

Finally caught up with the final episode.
Really enjoyed it, good twists and turns but still quite amusing.
As a local to Halifax it was good that the local place-names were pronounced correctly - Barkisland and Southowram, none of that Bark Island stuff. The writer Sally Wainwright is a Halifax person so clearly she insisted on that.
Most of the scenes shot locally too. Although the farmhouse is just "over the border", don't know where exactly as I rarely head that way (there's just no reason to!!).
Why Riders of Rohan? Used to work for a bus company called Yorkshire Rider, now own a Rohan clothing shop, sorry I'm no Tolkein!
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Gillian is no better than she should be (as Grandma used to say), she needs a good telling off for having such terrible taste in men every time.... and so many times, she must have good springs in that bed
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

{rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Annie wrote:The script and acting were beautifully done , the scene between Celia and her daughter during the dinner party felt to me, like somewhere I had been - not the same dialogue but the emotion behind it . Wonderful series.
Now last night when they said a new series, I was delighted as I didn't want to say goodbye to the characters but this morning I am wondering as they had all moved towards conclusion of their individual stories and I wouldn't like another series for another series sake so hope the scriptwriters have something special up their sleeves.
I am sure a lot of us would have watched it anyway but I am glad I flagged it up on the forum as it cements what a group of people with similar thoughts we are.

Now you can see the second series, is it as good as the first? Tuesday nights BBC1 9pm
Or catch it on the iplayer
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... Episode_1/
I shall be watching, looks every bit as good as the first series.
Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

I watched it last night and again very good.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning