The Dambusters

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

The Dambusters

Post by Annie »

Last week on radio 2 a lot of scheuduling was given over to the commemoration of the Dambusters mission of 70 years ago.
Nothing was taught to me in school about this, mores the pity as I have found the information I have picked up whilst listening in has been so inspiring.
I can't begin to imagine the courage of the young airmen who belonged to 617 squadron lead by 24 year old Guy Gibson or start to imagine the brain of Barnes Wallis who invented the bouncing bomb helped by the cricket and tennis balls of his children , apparently it wasn't the bounce that counted as much as the depth the bomb sank to before it detonated.
On Friday as I was driving in to work many tributes were being paid to people involved in this mission but the tributes were read out by the relatives themselves and they were so poignant and sincere and the relatives so incredibly proud of their association with the Dambusters, that even this tough old bird had tears in her eyes.
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: The Dambusters

Post by Totally Scrambled »

In the 5 or 6 weeks they had to practice very low flying one of the crews was at about 60 feet when another crew flew underneath them yike*
Seeing as a Lancs wing span is about 100 feet that sort of flying takes some spherical objects.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Think it was said that there are only 2 Lancasters left flying, one in GB still kept in good order though only flown if conditions are perfect for it and the other privately owned in Canada.
If parts are needed to be replaced, they have become obsolete but such is the passion for this plane , that there is a small cottage industry ready to be commissioned to make any such parts that are required.
Think the Brits are pretty proud of this bit of history and all connected to it.
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Hubby and I went to see the dams when we lived in germany, amazing. We have an air show here where we live now every year and the lancaster comes over our house very low, it is a very special sight and I feel privilged to see it.
Guy Gibson was killed the following year.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

mrs boodles wrote:Hubby and I went to see the dams when we lived in germany, amazing. We have an air show here where we live now every year and the lancaster comes over our house very low, it is a very special sight and I feel privilged to see it.
Guy Gibson was killed the following year.

His death was mentioned on Friday too sometimes things just make you feel so sad. I bet it is wonderful to see the old Lancaster Mrs Boodles .
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It is a special story isn't it. Barnes Wallis was more or less dumped by the Government after the 40's, he even drew up plans for a Flying Saucer!

Have you ever read about Guy Gibson's dog 'Nigger' (wouldn't be allowed nowadays). Nigger died when Gibson was on a Mission. Very moving and directed very well into the movie.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger_(dog)

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I thought the dambusters film was excellent, did`nt Barnes Wallis design the Wellington bomber.

Think Richard Todd who portrayed Guy Gibson was excellent in the role, a very underaclaimed actor.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Yes he worked for Vickers and designed the Wellington. They wanted to take him off the bouncing bomb so he could concentrate on designing Vickers' new heavy bomber the Windsor.
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

It was said by the leader of todays 617 squadron on the radio on Friday, that the film was very true to actual events - wonder if you can still watch it anywhere, I would love to see it again.
Think if it was remade now they would have to fill it with handsome glory boys and not the accurate casting of the old film
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Annie wrote:Think if it was remade now they would have to fill it with handsome glory boys and not the accurate casting of the old film

And it would be a completely American enterprise as per Hollywood's usual slant on History )grin2(
Yes there was at least one American who was serving with the RAF involved as well as other members of the Commonwealth
Ali Woks My World
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Annie wrote: wonder if you can still watch it anywhere, I would love to see it again.

Annie,
Apparently it will be shown on Channel 5 this Saturday 25th May at 12:20pm-2:55pm and on Channel 5 + 1 at 1:20pm-3:55pm )t'
Dom
Ali Woks My World
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I really enjoyed the Radio 2 coverage.

How extremely brave where they all.

We get fly pasts here every now and then as we're very near to Bletchley Park.

The sound of the Lancaster is spine tingling.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I also enjoyed the coverage and I'm so glad that todays young are still being told of how brave those young men were. It was a terrific feat that was carried out, by in some cases, young men still in their late teens. Today that is so hard to really take in. What brilliant examples they set for the young men of yesteryear.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Totally Scrambled wrote:
Annie wrote: wonder if you can still watch it anywhere, I would love to see it again.

Annie,
Apparently it will be shown on Channel 5 this Saturday 25th May at 12:20pm-2:55pm and on Channel 5 + 1 at 1:20pm-3:55pm )t'
Dom

Thank you Dom , if I am not able to watch then I can at least record or catch up with on demand (think record best option)
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I know Barnes Wallace regretted doing it after, as he felt so guilty as it killed so many people.