Films

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Re: Films

Post by Trev62 »

Thanks for that, will give it a go at some point in the future.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
bob1947
Learner Laner

Post by bob1947 »

My son asked for titles of old Westerns and came with these:
Shane
Gunfight at the OK corral
The man who shot Liberty Valance
The Searchers
Hombre
Apache
Stagecoach - the John Wayne oldie

Anybody have other suggestions?

Bob
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Has to be High Noon.

I'm a great great spaghetti western fan. Love the films and class Ennio Morricone as a genius !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Love my films! 'Arrival' and 'The Magnificent Seven' were too that I enjoyed recently. I also enjoyed 'Hidden Figures' which is now nominated for the Oscars. Some great old footage in there of the first US rockets and an inspiring storyline as well as a good cast. It made a refreshing change from the same old that has been churned out lately. That said, we watched 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes' which was on TV over the weekend. There is a new one due out this year which we'll look out for, entitled, 'War of the Planet of the Apes'. :)
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Trev, you've got me on a roll now. I loved Enders Game! Some others to give a go if you haven't already: 'Red' and 'Red2' - stands for 'retired, extremely dangerous'. Great cast: Morgan Freeman, Helen Mirren, John Malkovich, Bruce Willis. Really hilarious! The other is also a double-act entitled 'Now You See Me' and 'Now You See Me 2'. Cast of Morgan Freeman, Mark Ruffalo, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher and some others. Magicians pulling off a bank job with a red herring twist at the end. :)
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Hi Minxy, yes we also enjoyed "Red" and "Red 2" and both of the "Now you see me" films, I thought Helen Mirren was superb in the film "Eye in the Sky", well worth a watch as it does raise a couple of valid questions.

I watched "John Wick: Chapter 2" the other night, I never realized so many people could be killed on screen by one person within such a short space of time!
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Yes, we enjoyed 'Eye in the Sky' too. Very thought-provoking and a bit sad too, as it was Alan Rickman's very last performance.

I haven't seen 'John Wick 2' yet. More violent than the first one?
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Minxy wrote: I haven't seen 'John Wick 2' yet. More violent than the first one?

Well on par, they will need three times as many extras for the third one though!!
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We went to see 'Lion' here in Baroda last weekend; a truely fasinating true life story base on the book 'A Long Way Home'.

I would recommend; if you have been to India read the book first as obviously the book goes into far more detail. If you have not been then see the film first to get an idea of the look and feel of the place and then read the book.
Michael
Minxy
Lively Laner

Post by Minxy »

Trev62 wrote:
Minxy wrote: I haven't seen 'John Wick 2' yet. More violent than the first one?

Well on par, they will need three times as many extras for the third one though!!

Ha! I've seen it now and see what you mean. It is getting a bit daft isn't it?! Agreed, it will be interesting to see how they intend to pull off part three, though I suspect the storyline will be thin to non-existent. :)
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Just seen Hidden People, it made me speechless }hairout{ The unbelievable prejudice that went on in the so called modern 60s at nasa beggars belief. But it is an excellent film and opened my eyes to how space travel is made possible by many really intelligent people. The computer will make you laugh, took up a whole room!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hacksaw Ridge true story of CO in ww2 . Hero to say the least and stood on his convictions.
Bloody but it then gives you a picture of the type of man he was.
highly recommended.
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

sandy wrote:Just seen Hidden People, it made me speechless }hairout{ The unbelievable prejudice that went on in the so called modern 60s at nasa beggars belief. But it is an excellent film and opened my eyes to how space travel is made possible by many really intelligent people. The computer will make you laugh, took up a whole room!

In my first job I had to carry the punched cards across site to the computer building.
Yes it took up a whole room and had to be carefully air-conditioned and kept free of contamination. Just don't drop the cards if they aren't numbered and interpreted*.
And sometimes (before an upgrade) that computer wasn't big enough for the runs of our programme so the cards had to be put on the train overnight Red Star parcel from Stockton-on-Tees to London and run on the IBM machine. You had to get things right, the programme I worked on took 20 mins or more to run so time couldn't be spared to run it in the day at work. So 1 mistake and you were waiting for the next night's run. If the run was urgent I used to be picked up by company car and taken in to work in the small hours to look at the results and correct errors, or if it was someone else's turn I might be woken by the phone (which ICI had paid to install in my rented house) to answer queries.

But did you mean Hidden People or Hidden Figures.

*Each card was 1 instruction, each column on the card represented 1 letter or character (by the positioning of punched holes). You could punch a few cards yourself on a hand punch, or send your instructions to the typing pool. There was a machine you could put them through which would 'interpret' them and type the letters along the top.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Just seen Kong, Skull island. I didn't bother reading the right ups or reviews as I know the story. What a lovely surprise, totally different story that had us gripped from start to finish. Another thing you know when you think okay they will be killed, they will survive which is what usually happens with certain characters? Didn't happen that way at all, oh and th especial effects were excellent.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

sandy wrote:Just seen Kong, Skull island. I didn't bother reading the right ups or reviews as I know the story. What a lovely surprise....................................

I had been avoiding watching this film as I did not want to see another big monkey get shot and fall from the top of yet another Lego brick tower but after your post I sat and watched it tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it and I can only agree about the special effects.

Thanks for the tip )t' :-D :-D

We are finding that although there are a lot of films being released very few are worth taking the time to watch >coc< either that or I have become very fussy and hard to please in my old age, Yep! Thought so, the Better Half has just confirm the latter! :oops: