Does anyone actually watch Game of Thrones ?

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Does anyone actually watch Game of Thrones ?

Post by Richard »

Every time I switch on TV there's something about it, or Chat Shows have an actor from it on their Show.

From the few snippits I've seen, just not my cup of tea. Guess it appeals to those of lesser years than me.
I suppose it's the fact that it comes from a PC Game.

I think they should bring back Monarch of the Glen, far better family viewing :-D :-D

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Does anyone actually watch Game of Thrones ?

Post by kitla »

crikey I thought everyone had watched but me! Actually it started life as a series of books by George RR Martin, which were very highly rated (if you like science fantasy which I do) So I bought the books & am trying to read each one before watching it on the tv. That worked at first but it's getting a bit difficult as the story on the tv has been changed so much from the original in the book.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

No I havent though sounds like my type of thing, too late now? Just flicked channels and the story so far is being told on sky 1 !
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

You really need to start from series 1 Sandy, it's a bit complicated otherwise. I highly recommend the first few books though, that cover up to series 4.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I've never even seen a trailer for it so would have no idea!! I agree with Richard, bring back Monarch of the Glen, stunning scenery & not offensive to anyone!! Hubby & I still enjoy All Creatures Great & Small as well!!
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't but the rest of the family do.
But then I don't watch much TV.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

It's one of the few programs I do watch.
Have read the books to date as well (started the book series before the tv series came out). Books are quite complex, as is the program, so many lives and characters to follow.

There are a couple of games, but the best by far is the Telltale Games one (currently free on PSplus, God I sound like an advert!), so played that and finished it last week.

New series is this week, WooHoo, have been rewatching some of the last series to refresh and catch up :)

The thing with books and programs, I have learned to separate them. I read the books as one thing, the program while it follows roughly the books, is taking it's own path, and that's fine too. The 'world' is the same, the storytelling is good in both cases.

I like the Walking Dead, I read the comics, there are characters that are dead in the comics, that are alive in the series, or characters in the series that are not in the comics, again both are good, but not following 100% is acceptable, so long as it tells a good story. There are also TellTale Games Walking dead series, only played the first, but that was excellent and really innovative at the time (they have made many more since then). Going off topic trying to explain a point.

Wish GRRMartin would pull his pen out and finish the next book!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I remember a cartoon years back when the film 'The Bible' cam out.

The cartoon featured two men....

"Have you been to watch The Bible yet?"

"Yes, but I preferred the book".

Richard yike* )run( )run(
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

wildlifemad wrote:I've never even seen a trailer for it so would have no idea!!... enjoy All Creatures Great & Small as well!!

ditto, but then I hardly watch anything but quizzes and a bit of news (even news I prefer Guardian online
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Not watched it either, has no appeal. Monarch of the Glen has been on the alternative channels lately.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

HedgeHugger wrote:It's one of the few programs I do watch.

Holds up hand .... I watch the series (last one starts next week) It's quite a complex story with different kingdoms and ruling families, with wars, assassinations, betrayals, mur.der, magic, dragons (!), torture, horror, coming back from the dead, zombies, seasons that last for years (winter is coming, and with it move evil beings that everyone fears) ... you name it, it's all in there. Definitely lots of graphic adult themes and violence - sometimes in too much detail. You would have to watch the series from the very start to get an inkling of who the different characters are - and even then, because there are lots of story lines of what is happening to each of them, it is easy to forget who is or was who, or how they are related. Having got this far I want to watch it to the end - but I've not bothered watching the re-runs.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I first saw snippets when I was on HMS Illustrious which seems like and age ago now (5 years or so) but didn’t really register what it was. I first really got into it when I was working for Damen Shipyards in Djibouti and we got back to the house after a day in the dockyard cracked a few tinnies and watched a couple of episodes a night from the start (one of the Dutch guys had the DVDs.
I don’t have sky so I catch up after the series has been shown over here. I think that the books will be the next series for me to read although I may leave it a year or two so that I have forgotten the intricacies of the quite complicated plot.
Bah Humbug
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

There's a detailed description of the series content, all the actors and the background to the filming such as locations and so on in Wikipedia if you wanted to get an idea of what it is about
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I've never watched either, not remotely interested. Daughter watches but we have cancelled sky so she will have to watch it at boyfriends.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

When I have nothing to do, hopefully in about 7 years time when I may get a state pension if they dont move the goal posts again I think I would enjoy reading the books
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/