Little Women - 2019 film

Discuss relevant News,TV Programmes and any good reads
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Little Women - 2019 film

Post by Spreckly »

I treated myself to the Little Women DVD, and watched it yesterday. What a disappointment!! I had all the books until fairly recently, and have seen the former versions, Elizabeth Taylor, and more recently the excellent version with Winona Ryder.

If I had not been familiar with the storyline, it would have taken several viewings to sort it all out, flashbacks interspersed with the theme. Two of the lead actors (they are all actors now, regardless of their gender), overacted, and were unsuitable. The girl who played Amy March throughout had a very mature voice for young Amy, and the girl who played Jo was irritating and disappointing. Jo's acquaintance with the Professor was very short lived, also Meg's with John Brooke. Marmee, Meg and Beth were excellent however.

I hope I shall not get shot down in flames for my opinion, but I feel I wasted my money.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Little Women - 2019 film

Post by albertajune »

I read the book and saw a very early film which I loved. I must say that I don't like most modernised remakes so wouldn't buy one. Such a shame when you settle down to a treat that you have been looking forward to. {hug}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Little Women - 2019 film

Post by Mo »

I loved the books as a girl.
As I get older I appreciate the background more. Didn't know anything about the American Civil War then, or the social distinctions in America.
I rarely watch adaptations.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire