Cheapest Petrol Prices in your Area

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: Cheapest Petrol Prices in your Area

Post by Meanqueen »

Sorry to take this off topic. There aren't many places to have a civilised conversation about the future. There is so much brainwashing going on. I'm quite frustrated by that. Maybe here isn't the place.

ilona

What does on your bike mean? Would you like me to get lost?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

No don't get lost. I think i took it off topic to start with.
I'm not sure what I've done here. I tried to split the thread so that we could continue this under it's own heading but I've got 2 threads with the same title. Shall we continue this on the short thread ( which may have a new name when I find out how.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

My last chance last week to get diesel for 1.139pounds . Now 1.149 and going up .
Highest seen 1.20pounds and going up .Not been on motorways hate to think how much .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , one place only 1.139
A127 1.148 and local Tesco 1.149 still.
Cosco is cheaper but cost as much saving fuel as getting it plus membership .
Bob
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

How long does petrol last in a tank. I didn't fill up at all between for nearly 4 months, am hardly using the car.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:How long does petrol last in a tank. I didn't fill up at all between for nearly 4 months, am hardly using the car.

According to the RAC, petrol has a "shelf life of about 6 months". Their advice is:

Is it safe to drive with old fuel?
Within six months, it’s likely that both petrol and diesel will be fine to use although exercise some caution if it’s been left longer than that. But you are more likely to encounter problems if you have less than half a tank.

If your tank is full of old fuel (especially old diesel) have it drained by a garage or a professional mobile service.

If you suspect your petrol or diesel is stale the best advice is to try topping up with fresh fuel from a filling station.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Thanks LL. I'm probably OK then. Filled up 11th March and 2nd July. About a third of a tank in now and am using it more now that the walking group has started up (only a few miles a week though).
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I'd certainly noticed petrol prices had been steadily rising since the end of last year - now @ £1.32p/L at Asda's near where I live. Apparently July 2021 was the most expensive to fill a car with petrol since 2013

Sky news
Millions of motorists are being hit in the pocket as petrol prices reach an eight-year high after nine successive months of hikes, latest RAC figures show.
As countries move to rally from the economic turmoil caused by the COVID-19 crisis, demand for oil is increasing, pushing up wholesale fuel prices which are passed into drivers.
and this doesn't help either:
"With a second summer staycation in full swing, it's proving to be a particularly costly one for many families who are using their cars to holiday here in the UK.
"While we're not past the pandemic by any means, demand for oil is likely to continue to increase as economic activity picks up again, and this is likely to have the effect of pushing up wholesale fuel prices, costs which retailers are bound to pass on at the pumps.

"Unless major oil producing nations decide a new strategy to increase output, we could very well see forecourt prices going even higher towards the end of the summer.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

My son drove me to the pumps at the weekend. I haven't been driving for almost two months, and even then my excursions were local. I read a previous post that petrol shelf life is around six months, had no idea about this. My son informed me that prices are rising.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Perhaps the topic title needs renaming ..

...to: Available Petrol in your Area )run(

Not really a laughing matter, especially as pumps run dry and any petrol is better than no petrol. I really do need to fill my car up (it's less than half full and won't last the week) but I didn't even bother looking for a garage this weekend as I expected there would be queues. Apparently I wasn't wrong, and the queues also affected the traffic on main roads so as well I didn't bother going shopping either.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

My daughter & partner needed to go and take photos for a Cheshire Life walks article, so we went walking in S Cheshire yesterday. They needed to fill up to get home so we came back through the centre of Nantwich. 2 supermarkets with no fuel and he was getting worried that if they drove around looking they wouldn't even make it back to my house.
2 more petrol stations on the way home, we thought. But then saw Road Closed signs and had to divert past the first. The one in the village was also roped off but there was a tanker by the pumps and cars parked waiting. Utter chaos once it drove away but we did get filled up and they didn't have to stay the night and worry about work this morning.
It annoys me the talk of panic buying. On my normal routes I am 5 miles from the nearest pump, another 5 to the next. I usually fill up when I am passing the cheapest, which is only once a week. But if I can't guarantee that they will have petrol of course I will fill up while I still have enough to get to another.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

)c( I filled the car up with petrol this morning - £1.33p/litre. I had to work from home on Friday because the car was low on fuel (last time I filled up was the last week of August) - I did a 10 mile round trip and all the filling stations were coned off with "no petrol" signs. I wasn't convinced with the main new headlines of "back to normal" but decided to try again late this morning - I went to the nearest (not necessarily the cheapest) filling station. I really was surprised to find no queues although no doubt the forecourt was busier than usual.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

On Tuesday, I had no option but to go and fill the car with petrol. After listening to the news of price hikes and more so now with the Ukraine / Russia conflict, I was a bit worried about what to find at the filling station ... well, locally the supermarket petrol prices are still below the highest price I'd seen last year down to £1.43p/litre so where do the national news teams get their record breaking £1.50p+ / £1.67p price reports from? The most expensive petrol station in London and assume it is across the whole of the UK?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

This post is definitely out of date since my last post. With being off work for 8 months and doing very little driving until now, I was fortunate not having to fill up the tank with fuel very often when prices were high. Since starting back to work and the end of my phased return (when I was able to avoid peak traffic to and from work), that has now changed. About 2 weeks ago I had about a quarter tank left (which empties very quickly) and I was surprised it only cost me £42 and then noticed the price per litre was about £1.62p (I seem to recall it was about £1.69p when I filled up in mid-September) With the forecast of fuel prices going up again, I decided to top up the tank even though there was still just over a tank full. The price at Tesco's was however, down to £1.59p per litre.