which is the most energy efficient

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: which is the most energy efficient

Post by Meanqueen »

Steve the Gas wrote:Depends on the efficiency of the appliance though........

Well my appliance is about 30 years old, so I suppose it is very inefficient. {cry}
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

In winter any inefficiency of an appliance just means it heats the house instead of the water, it's summertime that the power is really wasted.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Stig
Lively Laner

Post by Stig »

I think those oil-filled heaters are thermostatically controlled and energy consumption should therefore be something less than 2kW - which will just be the highest draw the appliance will make. I guess the oil stored the heat and releases it slowly so that once your room is up to temperature it is kept there by minimal power demand.

Electricity for heating is still very expensive. Would you consider Economy 7 (night storage heaters) perhaps?
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

I wouldn't, imo, they are pants. Hard to control- either too hot or too cold and expensive to heat bricks in a casing.................
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Steve the Gas wrote:I wouldn't, imo, they are pants. Hard to control- either too hot or too cold and expensive to heat bricks in a casing.................

I second that, I have them in my house and they are dreadful to run, approx £1.80 per heater per night.

If I could afford gas central heating I'd have it )t'
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
redoak
Legendary Laner

Post by redoak »

Yep, I'd agree with most of what's said here. Calor Gas is a rip-off, no two ways about it, and not very healthy either. Leccy is expensive but maybe convenient if you want to heat one room a bit more.
I'd go with mains gas central heating - keep the thermo set to minimum and put on an extra sweater :-D
painterman
Lively Laner

Post by painterman »

Wow thanks for all your comments. even the down right silly ones yike*
i agree the calor gas pricewise is thru the roof. and buying a log burning stove is inicially quite affordable but all the gubbings you need to buy to make it happen
it turns out as expensive as sending a small parcel into orbit courtesy of nasa {rofwl}. halogen seems ok by some that heats instantly but frowned apon by others. and oil filled fires seem the same as they take a bit of time to warm up but rightley said it then takes little energy to maintain the current heat set.
i tried to find out online the pros and cons but was met with mixed reviews
and price wise trying to work out the costs where baffling as there all tied in with packages and deals when after 10am the price goes up. after 10pm the price drops bt only if you have 2 lightbulbs on and no kettle and if your porch light is on half senser mode with ur bath water turned tepid can you get these amazing savings worked out by the number of windows you have times that by 5 and your only watching emmerdale on catch up tv. can we work out ur best saving {rofwl}
i honestley dont think they know themselves how its price is calculated. how is an old person to know either. my dads in his sixtys and only just worked out
how to use his sky remote. he thought the english channel was two buttons below bbc2 and that back gammon was another name for a pigs
bottom . iv decided to bring my webber bbq into the porch and ignite. it wil be ok if i flame retard the carpet and curtains
yike* so i can benefit from the heat as im cooking some burgers aswell. >eas2<
lucy page
Learner Laner

Post by lucy page »

I live a simple life here with only a television set, a laptop, and a fridge. I have survived alone with only these basic necessities. I have my TV for entertainment, my laptop for work, and of course my fridge where I keep my food. Heating is never a problem since I have double sided blankets. I am telling this because living a simple life with the equipment to satisfy basic needs can be energy efficient. I just want to say that I'm getting rich because of it since I cut down on bills every month. Nonesense? You should try it.

Lucy Page
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

lucy page wrote:I live a simple life here with only a television set, a laptop, and a fridge. I have survived alone with only these basic necessities. I have my TV for entertainment, my laptop for work, and of course my fridge where I keep my food. Heating is never a problem since I have double sided blankets. I am telling this because living a simple life with the equipment to satisfy basic needs can be energy efficient. I just want to say that I'm getting rich because of it since I cut down on bills every month. Nonesense? You should try it.

Lucy Page

How do you cook , clean, wash...don't you have hot drinks.??????
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Lucy, welcome to DTL, from another simpleton. I quite agree that living with less gives you a more satisfying life. Although my central heating is now working, I hardly ever use it, more clothes is the answer for me. Also the government gave me some loft and cavity wall insulation, I am convinced that this has helped a lot. BTW you could ditch the tele, and take up crafty hobbies, life is even more simple when you are not ruled by the box in the corner. I watch what I want on the computer. )t'
Ilona
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Welcome Lucy )t'

We have a mad Lucy on here already )run( :-D
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

Steve the Gas wrote:Welcome Lucy )t'

We have a mad Lucy on here already )run( :-D

yike* Poor Lucy!!!
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
lucy page
Learner Laner

Post by lucy page »

Thanks guys.. Well it ain't that bad actually. I eat while I'm in the office, and I buy something to eat when I go home. I only cook when needed especially when relatives come to visit. Of course I still have time to clean the house and wash clothes. Living a simple life for me is rewarding.
silverbass
Lively Laner

Post by silverbass »

Welcome to DTL Lucy :-D
Smile and the whole world smiles with you
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Troll alert. 10 year old post, link in the signature.

ilona