Savvy shopping

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
saint-spoon

Re: Savvy shopping

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote: I have been getting eggs from B & M, (similar to Home Bargains) but they went up to £1.09. Yesterday I was in As-da and bought some for £1.
Ilona

I think that we can safely assume that were not free range, Just my personal opinion but animal welfare rates quite high on my list of priorities; I do not profess to being an animal lover in any way shape or form but the welfare of the animals that produce the food I eat is important. As you have said before Ilona, you do not eat meat (I Believe that you have taken part in some quite in depth thread on the subject in the past), so surely eating eggs from chickens that have had a miserable and unpleasant life must be more important to an animal lover like yourself than saving a few bob?
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You can safely assume....
Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Meanqueen wrote:You can safely assume....
Ilona

not free range then {warn} Naughty MQ, that is a lot of hens suffering for cheap eggs.
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

SS I don't know what you are talking about half the time, you waffle on so much. Of course I only eat free range eggs. Just wanted to wind you up. +f+
Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

saint-spoon wrote: ...try and make sloe gin this year

Can you forage the gin as well as the sloes? :-D
Or is it 'value added' rather than frugal?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Now there is a shop at the end of the road that is growing bottles of gin on shelves, I wonder if they would let me forage a couple? :-D
Bah Humbug
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I haven't a clue about how much eggs are in Supermarkets, don't need to!

What I do try and avoid is all the other stuff which has to put it bluntly, got Battery Hen in it ie. Cakes, bread and many other food products.
That's a very difficult task if you don't shop at the likes of Marks and Spencers and possibly the CoOp and Waitrose.

From about seven weeks time I don't care too much on the price of vegetables either (except Potatoes)- a few packets of seeds keeps me going !!
In fact I've still got 6 Sweet Corn, a few runner beans and various sauces left over from last year.

But I appreciate the fact that I have the space to grow it, so I'm lucky.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Richard wrote:I haven't a clue about how much eggs are in Supermarkets, don't need to!
Richard

Free range are normally around the £1.40 for a half dozen although you can sometimes get special offers when a new brand comes out. anything cheaper is usually from barn hens or batteries. I too am very wary of egg in other products, luckily helmans mayo is proud to boast free range as are a number of other brands. cheaper stuff will most usually be from battery hens. I did notice that son-of-morris has started a free range own brand thing, I am not sure how far it extends but ther was some egg mayo sandwich filling tubs (yes there really was, it's a bit like frozen microwavable baked potatoes; the mind boggles).
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

Ald1 claims their eggs are free range and they cost £1 for 6.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

RuthG wrote:Ald1 claims their eggs are free range and they cost £1 for 6.

unfortunately my local one of them is more than 40ps worth of fuel to get to. I wonder if they are British eggs or imports where the rules might not be the same. Son -of are British eggs. As i say there are often offers where half a dozen are down to a pound. Battie eggs are a lot cheaper and barn are a bit more, I am alway wary of cheap FR as I am not convinced that they are having a decent life, the farm down the road from us has the chickens ona field next to the farm shop, the eggs are over £2 for a half dozen, the reason being that they are really high welfare; you pay for what you get and ethically I think £1 FR eggs are probably bot from really happy hens wander around a field, they are more likely from hens who are kept in the minimum welfare conditions for the farmer to claim FR status.
Bah Humbug
ChrisG
Legendary Laner

Post by ChrisG »

To be honest, I have had concerns that these eggs might not be what they appear. Cant wait to get my own hens, though that is unlikely to be any time soon, sadly.
Chris xx

34.If someone can’t accept you at your worst, they don’t deserve you at your best
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

It's a sad fact that often the welfare standard of the hens is dictated by the desire to gain the FR status and sell the eggs at a higher price rather than to give the hens the best possible life. Cheap FR eggs IMO are probably not from the happiest of hens.
Bah Humbug
Richard

Post by Richard »

These eggs are sourced locally and the Farm from which they came is known to us.

We only serve Free Range Chicken as well as.

[center]Image[/center]

The Mayo is free range as well.

Richard )t' )t'

PS. I shall blow my own trumpet and say we have this policy through Chef and myself raising the issue about 4 years ago.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Richard wrote: I shall blow my own trumpet and say we have this policy through Chef and myself raising the issue about 4 years ago.

It takes someone to speak up, otherwise 'there is no demand'.
A local farm that used to have a small butchers shop took over the village supermarket/Post Office. We signed the appeal to get them planning permission to extend, and they now have a thriving business, with free range hens and pigs on view, a garden centre, rustic garden furniture and hen coups on sale. They also sell local home-made cakes. Which I don't buy because they are not made with free range eggs. I do ask now and then and to give them credit, last time someone phoned the woman who made them to check. But the answer was no. So I said 'I'll have to go to Co-op then', and drove away to the next village. But I hope that if people do ask they will think it is worth the extra to use eggs from the hens that we see scratching around, rather than batties.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

That's good Mo )t' )t'

There is a case for more information on ingredients in many things, after all we get all the 'E's' the artificial stuff etc. so why not 'includes products from caged hens'.

There are many well good intention customers buying things not knowing they are eating something completely against their ethics.

Richard