My Garden Office

Thrifty tips, ideas, news & experiences on anything around the home to shopping to re-cycling etc.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

My Garden Office

Post by Richard »

My Garden Office

Some of it's frugal and some of it's not, but maybe of some assistance to those who want that extra room outside, a view of the Garden, a view of the Chickens when they're out or just somewhere else other than the house.

Facing through the door..

[center]Image[/center]

The Shed I brought is an 8' x 6' windowless type.
I didn't get one with a window because I wanted to do that myself, making it small enough that it would be difficult for someone to get through.
I had a double glazed Unit from somewhere and built it upon that spec.

The ceiling is foam backed Radiator Reflector, I only have a 40w bulb, so this reflects quite good light, plus helps to retain heat etc.

I didn't find sufficient old wood to do all the walls, but used left over plasterboard from the big house opposite to do the two longer lengths.
This also adds to security. Thiefs don't always get through a shed door or window, they just pull the slats off the sides of the shed.
Doing it this way at least slows them up!

The main length of desk is actually a Door and supported by bits of wood from a Skip.
The whole L shaped work top is covered in that very cheap cord Carpet, again a left over from one of the bedrooms here.

The Pen Tidy is made from Toilet Roll inners stuck into a flowerpot base!

The Bookstand is just knocked up from bits, handy when I'm researching and whatever.

One of the Monitors was given to me, the other I paid for. The Workhorse Dell Laptop is about five years old and has the two monitors connected to it.
(All my website work is indoors and I network it here)

Underneath is an old camp bed, or part of one, with Leo's oild Sleeping Bag on it for Big Ron to sleep on!

The Seat is non frugal - because I'm worth it!!

Looking the other way.

[center]Image[/center]

The Base Unit is one of my Mother's old Kitchen Units.
The tall CD Rack was in a Skip.
The Whiteboard was being chucked out from work.
The Radiator was my daughters and has a low wattage switch.

Next to the Door is a battery operated very loud alarm. I have one or two other security measures as well, but obviously would not divulge what they are on the public bit of Forum!

Everything using wood is recycled from something or other. The Vinyl Floor was an offcut from Mothers new Kitchen Floor.

Beside the Office Chair and PC Equipment, the whole thing was the price of the Shed, at that time £189 from Garden Buildings Direct[/b]

May give some food for thought.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Re: My Garden Office

Post by MissEllie »

Sounds great Richard, the desk looks very professional. )app( )app(
How long has it taken you?
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thanks, sorted the photo and edited a couple of bits!

Putting the Shed up, walls in and Desk etc. took about two and a half days.
The Electricity comes from another Shed, under the Path and in through the side.
The longest bit was digging a tunnel for the cable under a double deep railway sleeper !!

It's been up about three years now I think, maybe two and a half, forget.

Richard )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

Sounds like a lot of work but worth it. I'd love something like that but I'm def DIY challenged!
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

That is FANTASTIC! I jokingly told my husband we should turn our shed into his office, a couple months ago...if he sees this, he may just want to do it! :-D
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Cracking little office Richard, must be lovely to look at you veg and chickens while you do your thing. Hmmm maybe someone should start a "what do you do in your shed" thread with pics etc.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

HappyBob wrote:Cracking little office Richard, must be lovely to look at you veg and chickens while you do your thing. Hmmm maybe someone should start a "what do you do in your shed" thread with pics etc.

I breed big ugly spiders, Bob~ :-D

I'll try to get a pic for you :-D
Richard

Post by Richard »

What I've found is that it releases a room in the house. For a couple of hundred quid, your house has another room - a room with a view at that !

It doesn't need to be big, for most of us an Office is a desk, chair, cupboard and a few shelves.

Richard )t'
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Richard wrote:What I've found is that it releases a room in the house. For a couple of hundred quid, your house has another room - a room with a view at that !

It doesn't need to be big, for most of us an Office is a desk, chair, cupboard and a few shelves.

Richard )t'

Makes total sense )t'
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Lillia wrote:
HappyBob wrote:Cracking little office Richard, must be lovely to look at you veg and chickens while you do your thing. Hmmm maybe someone should start a "what do you do in your shed" thread with pics etc.

I breed big ugly spiders, Bob~ :-D

I'll try to get a pic for you :-D

We all breed those Lillia, Although i,m not scared of Jiggly bugs and stuff, the big fella,s sometimes make me shudder if I have found them by suprise :-D
Lillia
Legendary Laner

Post by Lillia »

Richard wrote:What I've found is that it releases a room in the house. For a couple of hundred quid, your house has another room - a room with a view at that !

Richard )t'

As far as books and papers, Richard, how's the dampness/humidity?

I would love my husband to have an office in the shed, but I want it nice, like yours ~
Richard

Post by Richard »

I have a vent over the door and another very small one at the far end.

Strangely I haven't had a problem, probably because I fixed an inner wall.. The Floor can be very cold though.

On really cold winter days I put some thin polystyrene over the PC's and Monitors when I'm not out there.

You could put a Skirting heater in there if you were worried, one which uses the same amount of electricity as a low watt lightbulb.

Security is key. This is an old webpage of mine with some security tips (when I had a 6x4 shed, a wee bit too small!) That's now the Chicken Shed!)

http://www.downthelane.net/moneysavingtips/home-practicalities/securing-a-shed/

Richard )t' )t'
macleaf
Learner Laner

Post by macleaf »

yes Richard i too have a 8x4 shed next to our back door,before lining it with hardboard i stuffed it with i think rockwall then panneled with hardboard,i have like venterlation at the apex at each end,my window faces the bird station were i can watch the birds at close range,some even perch on the ledge and watch me,which i feel very priviage to see this,as far as condensation is concererned its not a problem with the insulation as it seems to work,this is my sanctuary as my wife is so house proud she hoovers every day cleans away anything thats not nailed down,if im reading the newspaper i have to keep my hand on it otherwise it will be whisked away hense my shed,bliss
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Very neat, tidy and practical, Richard. You should see our study!! Stuff everywhere.
tortzblue
Lively Laner

Post by tortzblue »

I love this! I could keep my OH in one of those )c(
Seriously though - He has taken over our spare room with all his "stuff" It drives me bonkers. I must show him this when he gets home - Brilliant! )app(